Hi-resolution copy of Pharr

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Hi-resolution copy of Pharr

Post by jaihare »

On the download page for Homeric Greek, there's a mention at the bottom of a high-resolution printer-friendly version of the text. It says:

"Please Note: A high resolution, 16.5 MB, printer friendly format is also available for download."

There's no link to said format, and I was wondering if someone knew where it could be downloaded. I've got someone who's asking for that version before we start the study.

Thanks,
Jason

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: Hi-resolution copy of Pharr

Post by edonnelly »

Not sure what happened to that link. I have a copy and would be happy to try to email it to you, but it is 16.5MB (and doesn't zip any smaller). I think gmail will let me send it, or if you have another way like an ftp server, or whatever, I could do that, too. send me a pm.

The reason it is "printer friendly," I believe, is because the pages have been squeezed down to two per 8.5 x 11 printed page. It's still over 200 pages to print. It has the same imperfections (like areas where it can be difficult to differentiate some breathing/accent marks and sections of the poem that have been written on). If someone really wants a printed copy and really plans to spend significant time with this text on a nearly-daily basis over a year or so, then I'd highly recommend just buying the $25 paperback. That's what I ended up doing when I went through it, and it was well worth given the hours per week I was spending with it. I also used the digital version a lot, but the "non-printer-friendly" version is better for reading on a computer, anyway. But, that's all just something to think about. I'm happy to try to send it along.
Ed
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Thanks a lot for the offer. I think I'll pass, though, after your description. :)

I just contacted an online seller from Amazon.co.uk to see if I can get it shipped here to Israel. I think I'd also prefer to have my hands on an actual copy, which I could also carry with me to work and study while sitting quietly in a park. Also, being able to flip to the glossary and grammar sections in the back would be nice, too, without all the scrolling. Thanks for the suggestion; it really probably is the better way to go. Hopefully it will work out that they can ship it here without any hassle.

Regards,
Jason

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

I recently obtained a hard copy through biblio.com at a very reasonable price.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

demetri wrote:I recently obtained a hard copy through biblio.com at a very reasonable price.
I did a price comparison, and while it's true that they have the book at a cheaper price, the delivery from the States to Israel makes the package more expensive. I placed an order with Amazon.co.uk (for ₪140, including shipping, which is nearly £24) to have it shipped from England to my apartment in Israel. I ordered it air (rather than surface), so it should be here within a couple of weeks or so. In the meantime, I'll use the downloaded version I have.

I wish I had the time today or tonight to sit down and lay out a schedule, since no one seems to be taking up that part of it, but I just don't. If no one has done it by the beginning of next week, I'll lay one out (if I can). I just really want to get started. I've already journeyed into the beginning of the book, having read the suggested readings and done the copy and declension work up until the beginning of the present tense of verbs in -ω.

Looking forward to being able to actually read the Iliad. :D

ἐν χάριτι θεοῦ,
Jason

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

You can see the schedule of the last group here:

http://www.textkit.com/groups/pharr/session-d.php

(Well, at least the first 6 months, not sure where the rest of it went). We basically did a Lesson a week, with two different "due dates" - Greek to English exercises due Monday, English to Greek due on Friday. That's also consistent with Will's statement that it takes about a year and a half (77 lessons = 77 weeks + probably a break or two somewhere in the middle).
The lists:

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

edonnelly wrote:You can see the schedule of the last group here:

http://www.textkit.com/groups/pharr/session-d.php

(Well, at least the first 6 months, not sure where the rest of it went). We basically did a Lesson a week, with two different "due dates" - Greek to English exercises due Monday, English to Greek due on Friday. That's also consistent with Will's statement that it takes about a year and a half (77 lessons = 77 weeks + probably a break or two somewhere in the middle).
Excellent. Thanks a lot. I'll try to get to work on a schedule tonight then. I'll just use this as an example and start from next week. I think that will sit well with everyone.

MON :: Greek to English (GE)
FRI :: English to Greek (EG)

Should everything be put together into a single weekly collation to be posted? Or, should we post a collation through the mailing list for each section? I would think that one collation per week (that is, per lesson) would be sufficient.

Thanks for the guidance. By the way, are you interested in becoming a second guide for the group? Annis has volunteered to be the group's first guide.

Yours,
Jason

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

jaihare wrote:By the way, are you interested in becoming a second guide for the group?
Appreciate being asked, but right now I just don't have the time, and I haven't done nearly as much of the Iliad since finishing my run through Pharr as I had hoped, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be the greatest resource to the group (I wish I could help out, though, because it would be great for me and my Greek to go through the whole text again, too.). Fortunately I'm reading this after having seen that Adelheid is going to be a guide, so I can also be free of any guilt while I decline, because I know you've now got two excellent guides.
The lists: