Consonantal Assimilation

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Consonantal Assimilation

Post by Lex »

With the verb δέχομαι, the aorist indicative middle, 1st person singular is given by Pharr as ἐδέγμην. I'm not great with athematic aorists, and I'm not sure about the consonantal rules. Is the following anywhere close to correct?

Singular 1st ἐδέγ-μην -> ἔδέγμην
2nd ἔδεγ-(σ)ο -> ἔδεγο, ἔδεξο ;γ in ἔδεγσο becomes κ by partial assimilation to σ, then κσ becomes ξ.
3rd ἔδεγ-το -> ἔδέκτο ;γ becomes κ by partial assimilation to τ.

Dual 2nd ἔδεγ-σθον -> ἔδεχθον ;σ between two consonants dissapears. Then γ becomes χ by partial assimilation to θ.
3rd ἐδέγ-σθην -> ἐδέχθην ;σ between two consonants dissapears. Then γ becomes χ by partial assimilation to θ.

Plural 1st ἐδέγ-με(σ)θα -> ἐδέγμε(σ)θα
2nd ἔδεγ-σθε -> ἔδεχθε ;σ between two consonants dissapears. Then γ becomes χ by partial assimilation to θ.
3rd ἐδέγ-ντο -> ἐδέγατο ;"vocalic" ν becomes α.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Consonantal Assimilation

Post by annis »

William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: Consonantal Assimilation

Post by Lex »

Oooh, examples! Perfect! I had forgotten all about this article. :oops: Thanks.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!