Infinitive Passive

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Infinitive Passive

Post by Lex »

Pharr lists the infinitive passive of λύω as λυθῆναι or λυθήμεναι. He gives a clue that this is the aorist infinitive passive in another section, but I want verification, since these words don't have the -α-, in place of the thematic -ε-, that seems to be typical of 1st aorists. Thanks in advance.

[edit] Added "1st". :oops:
Last edited by Lex on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Re: Infinitive Passive

Post by IreneY »

Well, I have to admit that I haven't touched Homeric Greek since the University so I can't say I recall the second form, but the first one is indeed the "standard" passive aorist infinitive. Passive aorist does not have the alpha common in both active and middle voice.

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

...since these words don't have the -α-, ..
That alpha doesn't betoken any aorists, but only first aorists active and middle, distinct from second and third aorists.

In the passive voice though only the one kind of aorist is found, with the distinctive -θη-.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Well, if we are getting "technical" -θη- is for the first passive aorist :D

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

That is true. But I prefer to think of the "second" passive as the same type as the first, just showing up without the usual θ of the -θη-.

Socratesapistos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Socratesapistos »

There is always a certain latitude with passives. I am new to this Forum and am struggling to teach Classical Greek to an adult for a state exam. We are using Greek through Reading and I must prepare several passages for the summer exam for my student. Is there anyone can offer me info about a possible key etc. It would be appreciated very much.
Yours passively....