Augments and Lost Consonants

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Augments and Lost Consonants

Post by Lex »

In Pharr 835 & 836, he writes:

835. Verbs beginning with a vowel formerly proceded by a lost consonant (usually F [vau], or σ), may take the syllabic instead of the temporal augment, as ἑάνδανον, imperfect of ἁνδάνω (σFανδανω) please.

836. When initial σ has thus been lost, the augment always contracts with the first vowel of the stem, according to the rules (584-5); when the initial F has been lost, contraction may or may not take place....

These two rules seem to contradict. By 836, I would think the imperfect of ἁνδάνω (σFανδανω) please would be ἥνδανον, since the augment supposedly "always" contracts when initial σ was lost. Smyth gave me no guidance. Does the "may or may not" clause for F override the "always" clause for σ? Is this another thing I just have to memorize?

[edit]
Pharr also gives ἕαδον & εὔαδον as alternative 2nd aorist active priniciple parts. ἕαδον is self-explanatory; it follows the same pattern given in 835 above. εὔαδον raises another question; is this derived by ε+F -> ε+υ -> ευ by contraction?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Augments and Lost Consonants

Post by annis »

Lex wrote:IDoes the "may or may not" clause for F override the "always" clause for σ? Is this another thing I just have to memorize?
σϜ- is not the same thing as σ-. (As an aside, the stem *σϜαδ- is cognate to English “sweet.”)
Pharr also gives ἕαδον & εὔαδον as alternative 2nd aorist active priniciple parts. ἕαδον is self-explanatory; it follows the same pattern given in 835 above. εὔαδον raises another question; is this derived by ε+F -> ε+υ -> ευ by contraction?
The digamma presents itself in curious ways from time to time, υ in a diphthong being one of them. This isn't terribly common.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;