'te' line 13 of Iiliad

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
megas_yiannakis

'te' line 13 of Iiliad

Post by megas_yiannakis »

Xairete :D ,

Im up to chapter 16 in pharr and am trying to translate Iliad, 11 - 16, however ive already hit some trouble...

line 13 is

λυσόμενόs τε θ?γατ?α φέ?ων τ' απε?είσι' άποινα,

with what should i take the first 'te' in the verse?

any help would be apreciated...

Megas_yiannakis :wink:

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Hint: "τε" links to words of the same kind :D

megas_yiannakis

hmmm so is a rough translation:

desiring to free both his daughter, and great ransoms.

is the t' in >t' apereisi' apoina < a te or a ta?

because if it is a 'ta' then would a good translation be:

Desirind to free his daughter, and bringing those great transoms....

OR should i take 'te' with the next line to give:

"desiring to free his daughter, bringing both great ransoms and holding the wreaths of Apollo upon a golden sceptre..."

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

megas_yiannakis

ahhh thank you that makes much more sence...

i started with attic for a while before discovering pharr's book and the advantages it would give me by starting with homeric... i only got to about chapter 5 in my attic book so it wasnt much of a big change but if im not wrong... in attic 'te' comes before the words it connects that must have been the source of my confusion... or mayb the use of "kai... kai..." in modern greek...

oh well thanks for helping me with that :D

:D sas euharisto!

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

megas_yiannakis wrote: but if im not wrong... in attic 'te' comes before the words it connects that must have been the source of my confusion... or mayb the use of "kai... kai..." in modern greek...

oh well thanks for helping me with that :D

:D sas euharisto!
I seem to remember that I read somewhere that 'te' can come before the word to which it belongs but I have not run across it.

megas_yiannakis

mmm.. then definately i was thinking about modern greek. know in modern greek 'kai' comes infront of the word it connects with the 'kai... kai...' combination:

Τ?αγουδώ και Έλληνικα, και ξένα τ?αγο?δια.

-I sing both Greek, and Foreign songs.-

Another question about the iliad aswell... in line 20:

παίδα δ' εμοί λ?σαί τε φίλην, τα τ' άποινα δέχεσθαι

With what should i take the 'emoi'? it doesnt seem to agree in form with any other noun in the sentence... and the only obvious logical connection i can make is one of context, taking it with 'paida' i.e 'my daughter'... but then wouldn't 'emoi' be in the accusative feminine?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

My (gen.)daughter is a daughter to me.(dat.)

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Are you saying it's a dative of possession Bert? I thought it a simple dative, i.e. "release my/the child to me"
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

megas_yiannakis

how is εμοί dative at all in the first place?

if it was dative wouldnt it be εμωι (with the iota subscript?)... pharr doesnt give omicron + iota as a dative singular ending in the book... or have i looked wrong?

megas_yiannakis

wait dont mind me... i just looked it up as a form of 'εγώ' which i didnt think to look at as it hasn't been introduced to me yet in pharr... (i thought it was a form of 'έμός'... which is kind of annoying as there is no foot-note talking about it... oh well it makes sence now :D

thanks everyone! :wink:

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

mega yannaki "kai" appears in the same position in ancient Greek too :) We just do not use "te" anymore (unless you take fixed expressions such as "πλίνθοι τε και κέ?αμοι ατάκτως ε??ιμμένα/οι" [yes we've done away with the rocks and moved the "te" at some point in our history just don't ask me when] which do not count of course) :D

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Kasper wrote:Are you saying it's a dative of possession Bert? I thought it a simple dative, i.e. "release my/the child to me"
That is what I meant but I guess there is a case to be made for a dative of advantage (or something like that.)
I like to see it belonging to παῖδα though. That puts the emphasis more solidly on his daughter rather than on him. "Release my daughter, my dear one...." rather than "Release my daughter to me, my dear one...."
In the first case he is doing the begging on behalf of his daughter but in the second case he'd be mentioning himself as beneficiary as well.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

One wonders though, if to a (ancient) Greek, both elements are present.
It is one thing for us to discuss what is the better way for us to understand it but quite another what it meant to the author and the original audience.
Would the possesive element be stronger here and the dative of advantage element stronger if ?μοί had occured later in the sentence, maybe after φίλην somewhere?