On ancient Greek music

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

On ancient Greek music

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Fascinating to think we may be hearing the way it actually sounded...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hOK7bU0S1Y
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: On ancient Greek music

Post by jeidsath »

If you've been following their progress on their blog, you'll find that this is a terrible lie:
οὐ καλόν, ὦ φίλε, πάντα λόγον ποτὶ τέκτονα φοιτῆν,
μηδ' ἐπὶ πάντ' ἄλλω χρέος ἰσχέμεν· ἀλλὰ καὶ αὐτός
τεχνᾶσθαι σύριγγα, πέλει δέ τοι εὐμαρὲς ἔργον.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

jeidsath wrote:If you've been following their progress on their blog, you'll find that this is a terrible lie:
Seriously, Joel? So you believe that these musicological archeologists are deliberately presenting falsehoods but otherwise know the truth? And professor D'Angour of Oxford, is he in on the deception, or is he just an incompetent dupe? I saw nothing in the blog or any of the videos which would indicate such a conspiracy to me, but maybe you saw something I didn't. Do you care to elaborate, and give us your reasons why this is a terrible lie?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I meant to indicate by the colon that it's the Greek quotation (Bion of Smyrna) that is a terrible lie. Specifically:

"τεχνᾶσθαι σύριγγα, πέλει δέ τοι εὐμαρὲς ἔργον"

In fact, their work on recreating the mouthpieces has been painstaking and it has been no "εὐμαρὲς ἔργον."
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

jeidsath wrote:I meant to indicate by the colon that it's the Greek quotation (Bion of Smyrna) that is a terrible lie. Specifically:

"τεχνᾶσθαι σύριγγα, πέλει δέ τοι εὐμαρὲς ἔργον"

In fact, their work on recreating the mouthpieces has been painstaking and it has been no "εὐμαρὲς ἔργον."
Face palm! :oops: I responded on my phone, and my eyes have never been what they used to be.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

My fault. I wasn't clear in my original post, and I'm glad that you forced me to explain.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

:shock: :) :D
N.E. Barry Hofstetter