Scanning Iliad 1.3

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Scanning Iliad 1.3

Post by seanjonesbw »

I'm now pretty comfortable with the metrics of the first two lines of the Iliad based on the discussion in Pharr and elsewhere, but I'm stuck with line 3 based on the rules I've learnt. I can hear the vowel lengths in the first two lines in the Annis recordings but they all sound equal in the recording for line 3, probably because I'm not used to thinking in hexameter.

Could someone let me know how this should scan using the —uu notation?

At the moment I have:
πολλὰς δ᾽ ἰφθίμους ψυχὰς Ἄϊδι προΐαψεν
——|——|——|—uu|—uu|——
——(ὰ indeterminate but followed by two consonants so long) | —— (spondee because ου in next foot must be long as not followed by vowel) |—— (ὰ in ψυχὰς naturally long so not dactyl, and υ therefore also long) | —uu | —uu (ι first in foot and followed by two consonants) | —— (spondee because final foot)

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Scanning Iliad 1.3

Post by jeidsath »

πολλὰς is a f. acc. pl. first/second declension adjective, so you can know that the α is long from grammar, and not indeterminate. It's the consonant stem nouns and adjectives that have a short α in the acc. pl.

Everything else looks good.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

Thanks! I'm planning to commit the first few lines to memory so it's a huge help knowing I've not completely messed it up.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

That sounds like a great plan. Two suggestions. 1) Be sure to commit the written version to memory and practice writing it out with all accents. Otherwise your vocal version will muddle vowels and misplace accents. 2) Make sure to know where the caesura is in the line
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

That's good advice - I'm not really sure how much of a breather to take at the caesura.

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

Don't exaggerate the caesura, but make sure you feel it.
Bill Walderman