Textkit Logo

κλύω as a present verb

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Beside Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.

κλύω as a present verb

Postby cramberepetita » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:36 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew of the earliest attestation of κλύω 'hear' as a present.
The original verb is a root aorist (thematic κλύον/ἔκλυον = Skt. śruvam, innovated from a still older athematic aorist, as in imperative κλῦθι = Skt. śrudhi - Sanskrit seems to have gone through the same development independently), from the PIE root *ḱleu-; but a present κλύω was built on it in the same way that for instance κίω 'go' was founded on aorist κίον/ἔκιον or ἠμί 'say' on ἦ ('said he').
I'm just trying to determine if unambiguously present forms already occur in Homer, or, if not, when and in what author(s).
cramberepetita
Textkit Neophyte

Re: κλύω as a present verb

Postby Paul Derouda » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:31 pm

According to the entry on κλυεῖν, κλὐω in the Necronomic... um I mean the Lexikon des Frühgriechischen Epos, the only attestation in Early Epic of the present is Hesiod's Work and Days line 726 οὐ γὰρ τοί γε κλύουσιν, ἀποπτύουσι δέ τ᾽ ἀράς.

So that must be the earliest attestation.
Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Postby cramberepetita » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking for.
cramberepetita
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Paul Derouda » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:15 pm

As you probably now, it's a subject of debate whether Homer or Hesiod is earlier. "Traditionally" Homer is the oldest, but M.L. West was among those who considered Hesiod earlier.
Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Return to Homeric Greek and Early Greek Poetry