Iliad book 1 line 204 query

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Iliad book 1 line 204 query

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

ἀλλ᾽ ἔκ τοι ἐρέω, τὸ δὲ καὶ τελέεσθαι ὀΐω - but I will tell you, and I think this will be fulfilled.

What is the point of the ἔκ? Does it just get ignored in translation?
Thank you in advance =D

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Iliad book 1 line 204 query

Post by Timothée »

Cunliffe has the following for ἐκ:
Richard John Cunliffe wrote:(I) Adv. (5) Of speaking, etc., indicating absence of restraint, out, right out, aloud.
He then cites this and Ζ 471. I don’t know how Liddell ’n’ Scott explain it; they may not even recognise the word ἐκ as an adverb, at least not in the same way as Cunliffe does.

Happy Christmas!

Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

Timothée wrote:Cunliffe has the following for ἐκ:
Richard John Cunliffe wrote:(I) Adv. (5) Of speaking, etc., indicating absence of restraint, out, right out, aloud.
He then cites this and Ζ 471. I don’t know how Liddell ’n’ Scott explain it; they may not even recognise the word ἐκ as an adverb, at least not in the same way as Cunliffe does.

Happy Christmas!
Thank you, Timothée - and Merry Christmas to you too!

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Liddell and Scott see this as tmesis for ἐξερέω:
ἐξερέω (A), Att. contr. ἐξερῶ, fut. of ἐξεῖπον (q.v.):—I

A. [select] will speak out, tell out, utter aloud, Hom. always abs. in sg., “ἐξερέω” Il.8.286, 12.215, Od.9.365, al.; in tmesi, “ἔκ τοι ἐρέω” Il.1.204, 233, al.: c. acc. in Trag., “τἀληθὲς ἐξερῶ” S.OT800, cf. 219, etc.: c. dupl. acc., “τοιαῦτά τοι νὼ πᾶς τις ἐ.” Id.El.984; “ἐ. ὅτι . .” Id.Ant.325:—after Hom., also pf.Act. “ἐξείρηκα” Id.Tr.350, 374: 3sg. plpf. Pass. “ἐξείρητο” Id.OT984: 3sg. fut. Pass. “ἐξειρήσεται” Id.Tr.1186.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com