Iliad 12, 343-344

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Iliad 12, 343-344

Post by Bart »

Menestheus speaking:

‘ἔρχεο δῖε Θοῶτα, θέων Αἴαντα κάλεσσον,
ἀμφοτέρω μὲν μᾶλλον:

Question about aspect: why is the first imperative present and the second an aorist? Is there a real distinction (that escapes me), or are the two often interchangable and chosen for for instance metric reasons?

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Iliad 12, 343-344

Post by Paul Derouda »

I think the present imperative has a sort of dramatic effect here, not simply "go!" but "be going!" As always, a present stem implies a continuous, undelimited action and an aorist stem a complete action. So καλεσσον as an aorist shows that calling Aias is a whole, complete action.

I would say that the form might be chosen for metrical reasons, but that also changes the meaning a bit. I suppose an aorist form might have well been used instead of ερχεο, and then it would mean "go!".

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Bart wrote:‘ἔρχεο δῖε Θοῶτα, θέων Αἴαντα κάλεσσον,
ἀμφοτέρω μὲν μᾶλλον:

...why is the first imperative present and the second an aorist?
Hi, Bart.

For what is worth, Gaza preserves the aspect of ἔρχεο (πορεύου) while Psellos switches it to the aorist (ἄπελθε.)

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bart »

Thanks guys!

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

Paul Derouda wrote:I think the present imperative has a sort of dramatic effect here, not simply "go!" but "be going!"
Perhaps "Get going!" is a good English equivalent?