Rough breathing

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
huilen
Textkit Member

Rough breathing

Post by huilen »

I have this doubt for a long time: how should I pronunce the rough breathing when it is before a word that is elided?
νῦν δ' ἁθρόα πάντ' ἀπέτεισε

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Rough breathing

Post by mwh »

The delta picks up the aspirate. Same with tau, only there the alphabet conveniently provides theta, its aspirated form. δ τ θ constitute a phonetic series; likewise β π φ and γ κ χ. English-speakers unwittingly aspirate τ π κ, and probably δ β γ too, so you may already be pronouncing it correctly (unless you're chinese, as your handle might suggest).

W.S. Allen’s Vox Graeca is a useful resource.

Whether the word αθροος is in fact aspirated is another question. Aristarchus decreed it, rightly or wrongly.

huilen
Textkit Member

Re: Rough breathing

Post by huilen »

Thank you for your answer.
mwh wrote:English-speakers unwittingly aspirate τ π κ, and probably δ β γ too, so you may already be pronouncing it correctly
You are right, I put a bad example choosing a word ending in δ, because I already pronounce δ with the breathing. I have the problem with other consonants before the breathing, here goes a random example:
σοὶ ἅμ᾽ ἕψεται,
mwh wrote:W.S. Allen’s Vox Graeca is a useful resource.
Great, I will check it.
(unless you're chinese, as your handle might suggest).
Hehe, I'm not, it is Mapuche.