My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 101

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
huilen
Textkit Member

My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 101

Post by huilen »

Index of lessons

Lesson 101

Odyssey passage exercise

#206 καὶ τοτ' ἐγὼ Κύκλωπα προσηύδων ἄγχι παραστάς,
#207 κισσύβιον μετὰ χερσὶν ἔχων μέλανος οἴνοιο·
#208 "Κύκλωψ, τῆ, πίε οἶνον, ἐπεὶ φάγες ἀνδρόμεα κρέα,
#209 ὄφρ' εἰδῇς, oἷόν τι ποτὸν τόδε νηῦς ἐκεκεύθει
#210 ἡμετέρη· σοι δ' αὖ λοιβὴν φέρον, εἴ μ´ ἐλεήσας
#211 οἴκαδε πέμψειας· σύ δὲ μαίνεαι οὐκέτ' ἀνεκτῶς.
#212 σχέτλιε, πῶς κέν τίς σε καὶ ὕστερον ἄλλος ἵκοιτο
#213 ἀνθρώπων πολέων; ἐπεὶ οὐ κατὰ μοῖραν ἔρεξας."

Scanned verses:

#206 καῑ το̆τ' ε̆γω̄ Κῡκλω̄πᾰ προ̆ηῡδω̄ν ᾱγχῐ πᾰρᾱστᾰς,
#207 κῑσσῠβῐο̄ν με̆τᾰ χε̄ρσῐν ε̆χω̄ν με̆λᾰνο̄ς οῑνοῑο̆·
#208 "Κῡκλω̄ψ, τῃ̄, πῐε̆ οῑνο̆ν, ε̆πεῑ φᾰγε̆ς ᾱνδρο̆με̆ᾱ κρεᾱ,
#209 ο̄φρ' εῑδῃ̄ς, oῑο̄ν τῐ πο̆το̄ν το̆δε̆ νηῡς ε̆κε̆κεῡθεῑ
#210 η̄με̆τε̆ρη̄· σοῑ δ' αῡ λοῑβη̄ν φε̆ρο̆ν, εῑ μ´ ε̆λε̆η̄σᾰς
#211 οῑκᾰδε̆ πε̄μψεῑᾱς· σῠ δε̆ μαῑνε̆αῐ οῡκε̆τ' ᾰνε̄κτω̄ς.
#212 σχε̄τλῐε̆, πω̄ς κε̄ν τῑς σε̆ καῐ ῡστε̆ρο̆ν ᾱλλο̆ς ῐκοῑτο̆
#213 ᾱνθρω̄πω̄ν πο̆λε̆ω̄ν; ε̆πεῐ οῡ κᾰτᾰ μοῑρᾰν ε̆ρε̄ξᾰς."

#208 There is a synizesis in κρεα.

Translation:

So I came near and (lit: having come near) addressing the Cyclops, holding a drinking-bowl of dark wine between my hands, (I said to him): "Here, Cyclops! Drink wine, seeing that you (ἐπεὶ) eat human flesh, in order that you may know what sort of drinking our ship conceals; I was bringing again a libation to you, in order that you might pity and send us homeward; but you are mad in a way that is not longer endurable. O cruel (Cyclops), how would any of the many men come to you again, when you didn't behave according to the right (κατὰ μοῖραν)?

#209 Why the comma after εἰδῇς? The object of εἰδῇς is the next sentence, which is a completive clause, right?
#210 Is τόδε introducing a relative clause? Which is the function of the indefinite τι? And why τι, instead of the interrogative τί (οἷὸν τί = "like WHAT", "of WHAT sort")?
#211 πέμψειας is an optative of expectation.
#212 ἀνεκτῶς is an adverb of way, which is negated by οὐκέτ', meaning something like "in a not-any-more endurable way".
#212 Why is τις interrogative? Should not be read πῶς τις?

English to greek exercises:

1. I stood near and with cunning addressed him as a god, bearing in my hands a splendid gift of the heavenly wine which that excellent man gave me at Apollo's temple.

παράστην σχεδὸν καὶ δόλῳ προσείπον μιν ὡς θεόν, φέρων ἐν ἐμῇσι χέρσιν ἀγλαὸν δῶρον τοῦ οἶνοιο ὃ κεῖνος κλυτὸς ἀνὴρ πόρον μοι παρὰ Ἀπόλλωνος νηῷ.

2. This seemed to me the best plan: to conceal our ship beside the river and to approach the cave in the mountain while it was still dark night.

τόδε ἐδόκησε μοι ἀρίστη εἶναι βουλή· κρύπτειν ἡμετέρην νηὰ παρὰ ποταμῷ καὶ ἵκειν σπέος ἐν ὄρει ὄφρ' εἴη* ἔτι μέλαινα νύξ.

* Is it correct the optative here, with a temporal ὄφρα?

3. He was brave of soul and mighty of strength, but kindly and friendly towards (those) doing worthy things.

ἀγαθὸς ψυκὴν* τε ὄβριμος κράτος* τε μεν ἦν, πρόφρων δ' καὶ φίλος πρὸς ποιέοντας χρηστά.

* Accusative of specification.