Index of lessons
Lesson 96 (review)
1. may they reach: aor. = ἱκοίατο / ἱκοίντο
2. νηλέας = pitiless: acc. pl. masc./fem.
3. boundary: dat. pl = πείρασι
4. ὅπλισσον = 2nd. sg. aor. impt. act.
5. city: acc. pl. = πολιάς
6. αἰπειῇσι = steep, utter: dat. pl. fem.
7. we shall touch = ἐπιμασσόμεθα
8. ἆσσον = near, close
9. to respect: aor. = αἰδέσασθαι
10. whenever we can: aor. = ὅτε δυνώμεθα
1. Ι fear they will all perish a most cruel DEATH = θάνατον
2. We pushed the rock away with our HANDS = χεῖρσιν / χείρεσσιν
3. If the storm had broken, WE WOULD HAVE REACHED the island easily = κίχοιμεν
4. "Give me" he cried, "more of these puny men TO EAT" = ἔδειν
5. WHEN HE HAD FILLED his huge belly, he slept = ὅτε ἐμπεπλήκει
1. In line 130, explain αἰδείο = contr. of αἰδέεο: impt. sg. pres. pass.
2. Why did not Odysseus stab the grant as he slept? = Because only the giant could move the rock that he put at the door.
3. In line 129, explain δοίης = indirect question.
4. What motives did Odysseus to appeal to the giant mercy? = Hospitality and respect for Zeus.
5. In line 162, explain οὐτάμεναι = infinitive governed by βούλευσα.
6. In line 164, explain ὄλεθρον = cognate acussative.
7. In line 167, explain Ἠῶ = contr. of Ἠῶα: noun sg. fem. acc.
8. How did Odysseus safeguard his men at the boat = He didn't reveal to the giant where were his comrades.