My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 95

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
huilen
Textkit Member

My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 95

Post by huilen »

Index of lessons

Hello everybody,

I would like to share in this thread my answers to the exercises of the third edition of A Reading Course in Homeric Greek by Schoder & Horrigan revised by Leslie Collins Edwards (http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Course-Ho ... 1585101753). As far as I know, there isn't an official answer key to this edition, and the only answer key available on the Internet have been stagnant for the past few years in the lesson 95 (http://web.archive.org/web/200710132301 ... choder.htm).

I started to teach myself Homeric Greek three months ago, and having reached the lesson 95 I grieve for neither having an answer key nor a reference to correct my answers. So I decided to share my own answers from lesson 95 with the hope that more advanced students may throw a glance to them and make corrections and any useful comment if they wish, and that the not so advanced ones may compare with their answers and make any useful question. Perhaps with the time this will become a collective answer key that could eventually inspire other people to learn with the book of S&H, which I consider an excellent guide except for this lack of an answer key.

Each lesson consists of a passage of the Odyssey and three English sentences to translate. So I will write every day a post with the translations of the lesson of the day, starting on lesson 95. As an improvement on the answer key of catholicvoice, I will put all the diacritics and I will scan the verses of the passage of the Odyssey. In the case of Greek-to-English translations, I will try to make the translations as literal as possible, putting in brackets the words that are implicit in Greek. I will make any annotation that I consider useful, and every time I'm in doubt I will point it out. But as I've already mentioned, I am learning, so whatever you see, do not leave me live in error! I would specially appreciate that you take a look at the grammatical aspect that I choice in each occasion.

So I'm starting here this humble project of mine resuming the deserted lesson 95:

Lesson 95:

Odyssey passage exercise:

#160 τὸν μὲν ἐγὼ βούλευσα κατὰ μεγαλήτορα θυμὸν
#161 ἆσσον ἰών, ξίφος ὀξὺ ἐρυσσάμενος παρὰ μηροῦ,
#162 αὐτάμεναι πρὸς στῆθος, ὅθι φρένες ἧπαρ ἔχουσι,
#163 χείρ´ ἐπισσάμενος· ἕτερος δέ με θυμὸς ἔρυκεν.
#164 αὐτοῦ γάρ κε καὶ ἄμμες ἀπωλόμεθα αἰπὺν ὄλεθρον·
#165 οὐ γάρ κεν δυνάμεσθα θυράων ὑψηλάων
#166 χερσιν ἀπώσασθαι λίθον ὄβριμον, ὅν προσέθηκεν.
#167 ὥς τότε μεν στενάχοντες ἐμείναμεν Ἠῶ δῖαν.

Scanned verses:

#160 το ̄ν με̆ν ε̆|γω̄ βου|λευσᾰ κᾰ|τᾱ μεγᾰ|λη̄το̆ρᾰ | θῡμο̆ν
#161 ᾱσσο̆ν ῐ|ω̄ν, ξῐφο̆ς | ο ̄ξῠ ε̆|ρῡσσᾰμε̆|νο ̄ς πᾰρᾰ | μη̄ρου,
#162 αυτᾰμε̆|ναι προ ̄ς | στη̄θο̆ς, ο̆|θῑ φρε̆νε̆ς | η̄πᾰρ ε̆|χουσῐ,
#163 χειρ´ ε̄|πῑσσᾰμε̆|νο ̄ς· ε̆τε̆|ρο ̄ς δε̆ με̆ | θῡμο̆ς ε̆|ρῡκε̆ν.
#164 αυτου | γᾱρ κε̆ και | ᾱμμε̆ς ᾰ|πω̄λο̆με̆|θᾱ αιπῠν ο̆|λε̄θρο̆ν·
#165 ου γᾱρ | κε̄ν δῠνᾰ|με̄σθᾰ θῠ|ρᾱω̄ν | ῡψη̄|λᾱω̄ν
#166 χε̄ρσῐν ᾰ|πώσᾱσ|θαι λῐθο̆ν | ο ̄βρῐμο̆ν, | ον προ̆σε̆|θη̄κε̆ν.
#167 ω̄ς το̆τε̆ | με̄ν στε̆νᾰ|χο ̄ντε̆ς ε̆|μεινᾰμε̆ν | Ἠω̄ δῐᾰν.

Translation:

I planned indeed in (lit. throughout) (my) daring spirit to, going near (him) (and) having dragged (my) sharp sword from the thigh, stab (it) into (his) breast, where the lungs(/diaphragm) enfold(s) the liver, having touched (it) with my hand; but another mind restrained me. For we would have perished there too (by) an steep destruction; for we wouldn't be able with our hands to push from the high doors the heavy stone that he (had) placed on (it). Thus, then, we waited, groaning, the bright Eos.

#164. αἰπὺν ὄλεθρον = cognate accussative.
#165. δυνάμεσθα = δυνάμεθα (poetic).
#166. χερσίν = χείρ + σιν (dative plural). Why not χειρσίν?

English to greek exercises:

1. If you (pl.) had been able to go close (ptc.) and feel the sharp rocks around the door with your hands, perhaps you would have found some way out of the cave and would not have remained there lamenting the night.

εἰ δυνήσασθε ἆσσον ἰόντες ἐπὶμάσσασθαι ὀξεῖας πέτρας ἀμφὶ θύρας ὑμέων χερσὶν, που κεν εὕρετε τινα κέλευθον ἐκ σπέος οὐδὲ κεν τῇ μένετε στενάχοντες νυκτά.*

* Contrary-to-fact construction.

2. Whenever anyone asked the great-hearted king if he had a sword, he always drew it at once from beside his thigh and showed it to him, bright and keen.

ὅτε τις εἴρετο μεγαλήτορα ἄνακτα εἰ ἔχοι ξίφος*, αἰεὶ ἐρύσσατο τὸ παρὰ μηροῦ καὶ φαῖνε οἱ δῖον τε καὶ ὀξύ.*

* εἰ ἔχοι ξίφος: indirect question in the past (present in the past direct question becomes optative in the past indirect question: εἶρετο οἱ "ἔχεις ξίφος;" -> εἶρετο εἰ ἔχοι ξίφος).
* Present general construction.

3. Seeing the cruel deeds of the monstrous Cyclops, we wailed throughout the cave, and feared lest he might eat us all.

ὁράωντες σχέτλια ἔργα πελώπιος Κύκλωπος, κλαύσαμεν κατὰ ἄντρον, καὶ δείσαμεν μὴ φάγοι* πάντας ἡμέας.
Last edited by huilen on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Answer key continuation of the Schoder & Horrigan course

Post by Paul Derouda »

Just a couple of comments...

Your translation of the Odyssey passage is great, this more a comment than a correction...

αὐτοῦ γάρ κε καὶ ἄμμες ἀπωλόμεθα αἰπὺν ὄλεθρον·
You left kai untranslated: "We too would have perished there"/"we would have perished as well".

"the heavy stone that he placed on (it)" -> "that he had placed on it" would be more natural.

The traditional translation of φρένες is diaphragm, but personnally I believe the modern scholars who say that it means "lungs" in Homer.

EDIT: I tried correcting your translation, but my own version was just a bunch of mistakes, so I decided to remove that... I've never produced any Greek myself, maybe I should!

huilen
Textkit Member

Re: Answer key continuation of the Schoder & Horrigan course

Post by huilen »

Thank you for your revision! I have modified the post with your suggestions.

Note: I will continue with the following lessons writing each one in a new thread. I think this way people will be able to make their revisions to each lesson without mixing the comments between lessons. So then each thread will contain some kind of history of the revisions for each lesson, and thus will be more easy to read and revise.

antonyclassicallatin
Textkit Neophyte

Re: My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 95

Post by antonyclassicallatin »

There is an answer key but it is off a few sections. It is on Amazon.com. You just have to matchup the correct sections to get the answers. For instance lesson 39 starts with section 279, online answer key, not 276 as the answer key states on Amazon. I think someone maybe me will just buy the Amazon one and then post the correct order online somewhere.
Washington DC Area.
Knowledgable in Ancient Greek and Latin.