Confusion with conjugating ανεβην

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Confusion with conjugating ανεβην

Post by cdm2003 »

Hi...

In Lesson XI (p. 17), the vocabulary lists the principal parts of ἀναβαίνω as:

ἀναβαίνω, (βαν-, βα-), ἀναβήσω (ἀνα-βήσομαι), ἀνέβησα (ἀνέβην)

I'm unclear about what's in the parentheses following the future and aorist forms. Are they future and aorist exceptions to the regular conjugations or rarer conjugations? In the exercises (53.1), ἀνέβη is used as a 3rd person singular. This led me to wonder if they were using it to mean that ἀνέβη- could be used as the augmented stem to which the same suffixes used in building the imperfect active indicative forms (I think these are referred to as the secondary tense endings?) are added.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help and apologies if this sounds confused.

Chris
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Hu

Post by Hu »

They're alterate forms. Pharr often gives alternate forms that appear in the text along with the regular forms.

Edit: βαν- and βα- are the stems of the verb (for example, βα- is used in the future, where it lenghtens to βη- after the sigma like a normal verb stem).

I believe the alternate forms indicate that ἀναβαίνω can often be deponent in the future and aorist, but I'm not sure.
Last edited by Hu on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

squinz
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Confusion with conjugating ανεβην

Post by squinz »

cdm2003 wrote:Hi...

I'm unclear about what's in the parentheses following the future and aorist forms. Are they future and aorist exceptions to the regular conjugations or rarer conjugations? In the exercises (53.1), ἀνέβη is used as a 3rd person singular. This led me to wonder if they were using it to mean that ἀνέβη- could be used as the augmented stem to which the same suffixes used in building the imperfect active indicative forms (I think these are referred to as the secondary tense endings?) are added.

Chris
I hope it is of any help the following link

http://www.textkit.com/tutorials/20030902print.html,

where you can find very useful notes even on the meaning of the various forms of aorist in ancient greek.

Bye

Squinz

squinz
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Confusion with conjugating ανεβην

Post by squinz »

squinz wrote:
cdm2003 wrote:Hi...

Chris
I hope it is of any help the following link

http://www.textkit.com/tutorials/20030902print.html,

where you can find very useful notes even on the meaning of the various forms of aorist in ancient greek.

Bye

Squinz
Or if the address is wrong type on google

aorist e)/bhsa e)/bhn difference

and the outpu will redirect you to the relevant page.