Od 4.95-96

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Od 4.95-96

Post by Paul Derouda »

Scribo wrote:I agree with your other post too, once something is textualised then it is open to the same level of variation as everything else (though occasionally Homeric papyri seem to reflect contact with a living tradition, no?) and this why Nagy's evolutionary model fundamentally fails. Textual criticism at times is like a much needed enema for Classicists I swear lol.
"Once something is textualised..." - that's true of course. But for me the greatest idea in West's Making of the Iliad (and probably in the Odyssey book too, when we'll have it) is to problematise the very process of textualisation without calling everything that's out of place an interpolation.

And yes, probably the papyri reflect living tradition too - rhapsodic interpolation and all that.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Od 4.95-96

Post by Scribo »

Stop making me exciting for a book that's far, far, away from release. It was bad enough with the Skafte-Jensen book which was difficult for me to get hold of. This is West!
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose