Please help me

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
squinz
Textkit Neophyte

Please help me

Post by squinz »

I downloaded Pharr's Homeric Greek and have been trying to understand how it works. Could anyone ever tell me what the figures present in the paragraphs (see Lesson One, Introductory-1, ...501-508, 519-520 ETC) mean? Since there are no more than 391 pages in the booh, what are these references for? I would like to start learning Homeric Greek, a poem which has fascinated me for years. Please help me and I am sure I can even help you with my knowledge of classic Greek and Latin, of how to use vocabularies in a few languages etc etc. My name is Mario and I anm fond of ancient history and literature.

Thanks in advance

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Each paragraph in Pharr's Homeric Greek has a number - for example, the first paragraph of Lesson 1 is labelled "1", and the first paragraph of Lesson 2 is labelled "5", etc. Those numbers refer to the paragraph you should look at - Pharr sticks a Homeric Grammar in the second half of the book, and rather than repeating himself, he tells you which paragraph in the grammar to study.