Textkit Logo

Translation of Iliad I.59-67

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Translation of Iliad I.59-67

Postby Hu » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:59 am

Hu

Postby IreneY » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:51 pm

Welll I think your translation is ok apart from two things (of course it maybe that I misunderstood what you wrote).

In the first lines what he says is (I think; and my Homeric Greek is rather rusty mind you) that they should return home after roving, if they are to avoid death etc (as you wrote).

In the last line I think they are going to ask Apollo to take the plague from them
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Postby Hu » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:46 pm

IreneY wrote:In the first lines what he says is (I think; and my Homeric Greek is rather rusty mind you) that they should return home after roving, if they are to avoid death etc (as you wrote).

Is the future used to convey a wish or desire that way? It would make more sense.

In the last line I think they are going to ask Apollo to take the plague from them

That's what I thought too, Akhilles is asking if Apollo would be willing to stop if they did something to satiate him. I don't think they're going to do it yet, he's saying that they should ask a seer to see if it's possinle first.

Thank you.
Hu

Re: Translation of Iliad I.59-67

Postby modus.irrealis » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:51 am

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation of Iliad I.59-67

Postby Hu » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:22 am

Hu

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners