Pronunciation of the letter 'fαυ' (vau)

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Paul 1956
Textkit Neophyte

Pronunciation of the letter 'fαυ' (vau)

Post by Paul 1956 »

Hi group, I'm just starting Pharr and already I have a question. How do I pronounce the letter vau? As the letter represents the sound 'w', as in wine, is the letter pronounced 'wau' (as in the English exclamation 'wow') or is it pronounced 'vau' (as in the English - to make a 'vow'). Or is it pronounced in another fashion completely? Many thanks, I think I going to have a lot more questions before I'm through :)

Hu

Post by Hu »

It's pronounced like an English w. I believe the spelling "vau" comes from Latin, where "v" was (in classical times) pronounced as "w".

Feel free to ask questions; many people here are working through Pharr (I'm on Chapter XXVII).

Paul 1956
Textkit Neophyte

Many thanks

Post by Paul 1956 »

Many thanks Hu, problem solved very simply. I'm afraid I've just started Chapter I (XXVII sounds years away to me) so there's bound to be many more questions to come. Cheers, Paul