Textkit Logo

Pronunciation of the letter 'fαυ' (vau)

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Pronunciation of the letter 'fαυ' (vau)

Postby Paul 1956 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi group, I'm just starting Pharr and already I have a question. How do I pronounce the letter vau? As the letter represents the sound 'w', as in wine, is the letter pronounced 'wau' (as in the English exclamation 'wow') or is it pronounced 'vau' (as in the English - to make a 'vow'). Or is it pronounced in another fashion completely? Many thanks, I think I going to have a lot more questions before I'm through :)
Paul 1956
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Hu » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:41 pm

It's pronounced like an English w. I believe the spelling "vau" comes from Latin, where "v" was (in classical times) pronounced as "w".

Feel free to ask questions; many people here are working through Pharr (I'm on Chapter XXVII).
Hu

Many thanks

Postby Paul 1956 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:43 pm

Many thanks Hu, problem solved very simply. I'm afraid I've just started Chapter I (XXVII sounds years away to me) so there's bound to be many more questions to come. Cheers, Paul
Paul 1956
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners