Textkit Logo

Diaeresis

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Diaeresis

Postby Brendan » Wed May 31, 2006 12:30 pm

Hi folks,

I've been working on memorizing the opening lines of the Iliad as Pharr suggests, and just realized I might be mis-scanning line 3.

In the Pharr text, I was reading Αιδι as having two syllables, the first of which is long because it's a dipthong.

But now I'm looking at other versions, like at Perseus, and they all print a diaeresis mark over that first iota, making the word three syllables (two short followed by one long, I think).

My question is, is there some way I should have known that wasn't a dipthong just from reading the Pharr text? I couldn't tell from the meter, could I? And why doesn't Pharr print the mark, when he does so later in the very same line?
Brendan
Textkit Neophyte

Postby spiphany » Wed May 31, 2006 2:24 pm

Last edited by spiphany on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)
spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby alauda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:54 am

Wow. That was a really useful answer. It seems I had a confusion on that subject, and never knew it. I was just reading the forum, and when I read that, a little light bulb flashed over my head. And I wasn't the one who asked the question, so thanks to Brendan too.

Cheers.
phpbb
alauda
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Brendan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:12 am

Thanks, spiphany. I really have to train myself to pay attention to every detail.
Brendan
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners