Textkit Logo

New Pharr group looking for members.

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:39 am

This post was deleted by Diane.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Bert » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:54 pm

Diane wrote:Yes it definitely would. I can get real intense about Flash.

Maybe I'm a lucky guy; I don't even know what Flash is! Unless it is the same as pop-ups?
Diane wrote:What I need now is to know if I can use Firefox 1.0.4 on Windows 98 SE in GTSS. The information Paul sent says Windows 2000 with Firefox 1.0.4 but that may just be that he never thought about it with Windows 98 SE. The Mozilla web site says 1.0.4 will work with 98SE.
I have used Firefox with windows 98. It worked fine. I don't know if it was version 1.0.4 though.
Diane wrote: I understand DOS 3.3 but never got any sort of grip on Windows.

I hear ye. My kids still get a kick out of it when I say something like that about windows 3.1.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:33 am

Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:36 pm

Hi Diane,

If your narrative refers to trying out GTSS, then please note:

a. GTSS will likely work with Firefox 1.0.4 under Win98. It's simply a configuration that I never tested.

b. there is no explicit logout from GTSS. Simply close the window.

Please let me know if you have other questions or problems.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:09 am

Last edited by Diane on Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Postby CanadianGirl » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:03 pm

Dear moderator: Is it too late to join this group? I am tutoring Homeric Greek (a little) & would love to improve my proficiency. Also interacting with other people would be nice! Please advise. Thank you! Paige (CanadianGirl).
CanadianGirl
Textkit Member

Postby Bert » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:33 pm

Right now we are at the limit we have decided on but judging by the past study groups we will probably lose on or two participants in the first two months or so.
If you don't mind doing the exercises but not receive any comments on them, then you could log onto the GTSS program as quest to look at the questions and comments etc of the paricipants.
In the event that we lose a member, you could then take that one's place.
We'll see what Chad, Paul and Will think of this.

BTW, where are you from in Ontario?
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby CanadianGirl » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:53 pm

Bert: Hi-thanks for the info. I am very eager to take part, if possible. I've become very interested in Homer latetly & would love to increase my proficiency, for personal reasons & to teach. I live just outside Ottawa. Commute to Ottawa, Montreal, & sometimes Toronto to work, shop, & party. Paige (CanadianGirl).
CanadianGirl
Textkit Member

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:35 am

CanadianGirl wrote:Dear moderator: Is it too late to join this group? I am tutoring Homeric Greek (a little) & would love to improve my proficiency. Also interacting with other people would be nice! Please advise. Thank you! Paige (CanadianGirl).

Hi Paige,

Please check your private messages at Textkit.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Just noticed that a new pharr group has begun

Postby andrei » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:32 pm

You said that you would send me email when a new group would begin. :(

Can I still join? I did the first chapters on my own a few years ago and I have a year of Latin. I'm sure that I can catch up. :)

Thanks
andrei
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Just noticed that a new pharr group has begun

Postby Bert » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:47 am

andrei wrote:You said that you would send me email when a new group would begin. :(

Do we know you under a different name perhaps? Who said that who would send you an email?
andrei wrote:Can I still join? I did the first chapters on my own a few years ago and I have a year of Latin. I'm sure that I can catch up. :)

We have lost a member (or maybe two) so there is room. We are happy to have you join.
If you fill in the subscription info on this page; http://textkit.com/mailman/listinfo/pharr-c_textkit.com the process should get started.
You also have to become familiar with the program that we use.
You can find what's involved in these documents; http://www.greekgeek.org/gtss.pdf or http://www.greekgeek.org/gtss.doc
If after reading this information you still have questions about it, please ask Paul the creator of this program at; http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... post&u=277

Hope to hear from you soon.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Just noticed that a new pharr group has begun

Postby annis » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:57 am

Bert wrote:
andrei wrote:You said that you would send me email when a new group would begin. :(

Do we know you under a different name perhaps? Who said that who would send you an email?

That was me. People send email to the groups email asking about when the next Pharr group is. I have a list of interested people, but I don't mail them until the forum regulars get a chance to sign up first. This time, pharr-c filled up before I could email the list.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Richard Hunt » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:27 pm

Have any more vacancies opened up in the list? If they have, how far
have you got so far? I have only done the first 4 exercises, but I have
plenty of time just now to catch up. :)

Richard
Richard Hunt
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Bert » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:52 am

Hi Richard. I don't know if you are still around.
Seeing that you have kept up on your own it should be fine.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby Paul » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:57 am

Richard Hunt wrote:Have any more vacancies opened up in the list? If they have, how far
Richard

Hi Richard,

I have added you to the GTSS (our study group software) system for the pharr-c group.

Please check you private messages at textkit to retrieve your login tokens and some info about documentation.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby eliliang » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:47 am

Paul wrote:
Richard Hunt wrote:Have any more vacancies opened up in the list? If they have, how far
Richard

Hi Richard,

I have added you to the GTSS (our study group software) system for the pharr-c group.

Please check you private messages at textkit to retrieve your login tokens and some info about documentation.

Cordially,

Paul

Paul,

I'd also be interested in joining the study group if it is not too late.

Eli
eliliang
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Paul » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:06 am

eliliang wrote:I'd also be interested in joining the study group if it is not too late.

Hi Eli,

I e-mailed Bert and Chad about your request. They are the 'guides' for the pharr-c group.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:58 pm

eliliang wrote:

Eli

Hi Eli. We have no problem with you joining but you will have to decide if it is practical.
What I mean is this; If this is your first go at Greek, I think you are going to face an uphill battle trying to catch up.
It is possible of course, to just go at your own speed, but then you lose some of the benefits of being part of a group. One of the main benefits is probably the structure. It helps you to stay motivated.
If you have done some Greek before, or even better, if you have done some Homeric Greek before you might not have a whole lot of trouble catching up.
Please send me an e-mail to let me know what you think.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby eliliang » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:01 am

Bert wrote:
eliliang wrote:

Eli

Hi Eli. We have no problem with you joining but you will have to decide if it is practical.
What I mean is this; If this is your first go at Greek, I think you are going to face an uphill battle trying to catch up.
It is possible of course, to just go at your own speed, but then you lose some of the benefits of being part of a group. One of the main benefits is probably the structure. It helps you to stay motivated.
If you have done some Greek before, or even better, if you have done some Homeric Greek before you might not have a whole lot of trouble catching up.
Please send me an e-mail to let me know what you think.

I'd be happy to try to catch up. It might take me a weekend or two.
eliliang
Textkit Neophyte

Previous

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners