Textkit Logo

New to the board

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

New to the board

Postby Timotheus » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:57 am

I am just starting to learn and there are many things that are new to me. I have had some learning from a freind and we used John Grescham Macheans(spelling?) Greek for new testament begginers. after that I had some help from one of the proffesors at PLU (Pacific Lutheran University) and we read half way through 'ATHENAZE I'. That was several years ago. and much of what I learned then has been forgotten.

So far my wife and three kids are also wanting to learn, two of my sons teenage friends, a niece, and a freind from church. I will probably be asking many questions as time goes on.

one of my first Questions is the exercise 3 in pharr's homeric greek page 4 where we are to translate greek to english. I cannot find the paradigm for the first problems. is it for 'boulai' the dative case and would the translation then be "for a beautiful and evil plan"?

and secondly is there any hints on beggining learning?

thanks
Timotheus
Textkit Member

Postby Paul » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:18 am

Timotheus wrote:one of my first Questions is the exercise 3 in pharr's homeric greek page 4 where we are to translate greek to english. I cannot find the paradigm for the first problems. is it for 'boulai' the dative case and would the translation then be "for a beautiful and evil plan"?

Hi Timotheus,

Please see the declension of [face=SPIonic]boulh/[/face] in Pharr 659. You're dealing with nominative plurals in this sentence.

For correcting your work, please see my http://www.greekgeek.org (click "Pharr's Homeric Greek" in the table of contents pane) or see Will Annis' http://www.aoidoi.org/articles/pharr/key/.

As to hints for starting Homer: a) try to do some Greek every day; b) hang out here and ask questions; c) memorize the basic noun and verb forms; d) don't give up. :)

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby swiftnicholas » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:53 pm

Welcome Timotheus!

I think the NT book you mentioned is J. Gresham Machen's book. I've never heard anyone else speak of it. :) I found a really beat-up used copy when I was starting NT Greek, and taped it up, and carried it around with me for a long time.

Timotheus wrote:So far my wife and three kids are also wanting to learn, two of my sons teenage friends, a niece, and a freind from church.

Wow! That's fantasic: I love to see interest in Greek. In my experience, most people who saw me studying Greek, looked at me as if I was from another planet. It's nice you'll have people to talk with about your studies.

Timotheus wrote:and secondly is there any hints on beggining learning?

Textkit! When you are in distress, post a message asking for help, and it's like you sent a "Greek signal" up into the sky---superheroes from Textkit will swoop down from nowhere and save the day. :)

If you don't know about www.perseus.org already, check it out. It offers Greek text with hyperlinked grammatical notes, commentary, morphology tools, dictionaries, and more.

Good luck :)
swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby RachelK » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:45 pm

Welcome! I'm taking an online course for Biblical Greek from biblicalgreek.org and we use Machen's test, which is very good, though I don't think I ever would have been able to mangage it without an instructor. If you can , but the study guide from amason.com, which is tremendously helpful, and includes the answer key. Have fun!
RachelK
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners