Pharr: Lesson 19, E-G Translation Check

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Pharr: Lesson 19, E-G Translation Check

Post by PeterD »

Hi,

It's nice to return to Pharr after a brief respite.

Can someone please check below the E - G sentences? Thank you.
  • 1. All the Achaeans will not shout assent to reverence the priest and to accept the shining ransoms.

ἄλλοι πάντες )αχαοιοὶ οὐκ ἐπευφημήσουσιν αἰδεῖσθαι θ’ ἱερῆα καὶ δέχθαι ἀγλαὰ ἄποινα.

2. We shouted assent, to free the beloved daughter of the priest.

ἐπηυφημήσαμεν ἀπολῦσαι ἱερῆος θύγατρα φίλην.

3. To free the daughter of that old man was not pleasing to Agamemnon in his soul.

Ἀπολῦσαι θύγατρα ἐκείνου γέροντος οὐκ ἥνδανεν Ἀγαμέμνονι θυμῷ.

4. The king sent away that old man harshly, and enjoined a stern command upon (him).

βαισλεὺς κακῶς ἀφίει ἐκεῖνον γέροντα, κράτερον δ’ ἐπὶ μῦθον ἔτελλεν.

5. Agamemnon did not find the old man beside the hollow ships of the Achaeans, for he did not loiter.

)αγαμέμνων οὐκ ἐκιχησάμην γέροντα παρὰ νηυσὶ κοίλῃσι )αχαιῶν, οὐ γὰρ ἐδήθυνεν.
In sentences 2 and 3, I used the aorist aspect instead of the present for 'to free.'

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pharr: Lesson 19, E-G Translation Check

Post by annis »

PeterD wrote:3. To free the daughter of that old man was not pleasing to Agamemnon in his soul.

Ἀπολῦσαι θύγατρα ἐκείνου γέροντος οὐκ ἥνδανεν Ἀγαμέμνονι θυμῷ.
ἐκείνου is not wrong, but here and in sentence 4 you could also just use a form of ὁ, ἡ, τό.
5. Agamemnon did not find the old man beside the hollow ships of the Achaeans, for he did not loiter.

)αγαμέμνων οὐκ ἐκιχησάμην γέροντα παρὰ νηυσὶ κοίλῃσι )αχαιῶν, οὐ γὰρ ἐδήθυνεν.
)αγαμέμνων οὐκ [u]ἐκιχήσατο[/u] γέροντα παρὰ νηυσὶ κοίλῃσι[u]ν[/u]  )αχαιῶν, οὐ γὰρ ἐδήθυνεν
In sentences 2 and 3, I used the aorist aspect instead of the present for 'to free.'
The correct choice in both places, I believe.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Thank you, William. It looks like I fell asleep with sentence 5. :)
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis