Textkit Logo

Pharr: Lesson 17 (line 19.4)

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Pharr: Lesson 17 (line 19.4)

Postby PeterD » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:06 am

Hi,

It's Saturday night and i am studying Greek. Now that is cool!

In line 19.4 of the Iliad, Pharr (and Benner) have [face=SPIonic]e)u/[/face] instead of [face=SPIonic]eu)=[/face]. P.A. Draper and greekgeek.org have the latter.

Which one is it?

If it's the former, do I scan it as two short syllables?

Thanking in advance (the usual suspect, of course :D ),

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Paul » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:50 am

Hi Peter,

Cool indeed!

I made line 19 word 4 agree with OCT version of Iliad 1 = [face=SPIonic]eu)=[/face]. But as you say, Pharr, Benner (and Loeb edition) have [face=SPIonic]e)u/[/face].

I suppose everyone's got his own canon. I try to make greekgeek.org texts agree with OCT.

It's interesting that entry in Cunliffe shows OCT form and [face=SPIonic]e)u/+[/face] with diaeresis over upsilon, leaving little doubt as to the number syllables in this form of the word. :)

If I've got my scansion right (always questionable), then 4th foot in OCT scans as spondee, but in Pharr, ktl as dactyl.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby PeterD » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:00 am

Thanks, Paul.

I think I can live with either form. :wink:

Now, back to my English - Greek translation exercises for tomorrow we commence, in addition to the Iliad, Xenophon's Anabasis. O The Ten Thousand Greeks!

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners