Attic and Homeric

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Rhapsody
Textkit Neophyte

Attic and Homeric

Post by Rhapsody »

I have a book on Attic greek, but I really would like to read homer. How different are both dialects? It's better to learn one after the other, or would be nice to learn both together? or just one?
thanks

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Attic and Homeric

Post by annis »

Rhapsody wrote:I have a book on Attic greek, but I really would like to read homer. How different are both dialects?
Fairly different, but not radically. Apart from some dialect differences which show up as minor spelling changes, say ἀγορή ‐ ἀγορά, probably the difference that makes Homeric the easiest is that it contracts less, which makes learning many paradigms easier. In fact, many Attic textbooks give the Homeric forms in parentheses for contracted noun declensions to show the uncontracted forms.

There are also some syntax and word meaning differences (the article in Attic means "this, that" in Homeric).
It's better to learn one after the other, or would be nice to learn both together? or just one?
Not together. Start with one or the other. If your goal is to read Homer, you might as well start with Homer.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Rhapsody
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rhapsody »

Ok, thank you!
I think I will start with Pharr's Homeric Greek.It seems to be a good choice.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

One of the things you'll have to do is learn new homeric vocab, and of course there are these different froms, but I do find it easier, as the sentences aren't as long and complicated :D