oikhomai at Il. 1, 53

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Robertus
Textkit Neophyte

oikhomai at Il. 1, 53

Post by Robertus »

Look closely: at line 50 we have:

οὐρῆαv μ\εν ἐπωιχετο καὶ κύναv αργούv

& then next at line 53 we have

ἐννῆμαρ μέν ἀνὰ στρατὸν ὠιχετο κῆλα θεοιο

In Samuel Butler's translation we have the following: "For nine whole days he shot his arrows among the people, but upon the tenth day Achilles called them in assembly", that's ok.

But think: epí + oikhomai (vv. 50)= visit with death, strike; while oikhomai alone means "to leave" as in Latin "abesse" (not "abire"); don't you think the God may have given the Danaans a pause in the nineth day? don't you think, guys, we have a tmesis in vv. 53 & that we should take "ana" with "oikhomai" as to mean "he removed his arrows from over the Danaans and then (having time to do so) Achilles summoned them to the Agora in the tenth day"? Think also about purification periods, and the significance of the number nine to ancient cultures...

&, obviously, let me know what you think about, because I am at a loss here...

Thanx.

Robertus

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Robertus,

An interesting interpretation, but I am for several reasons inclined to stick with the more familiar interpretation:

a. Homer gives no indication that Apollo's anger has abated. In fact, as we are about to learn, it is only the prayer of Chryses that causes Apollo to stop.

b. I don't construe ἀνά in tmesis with ᾤχετο. I see it as prepositional with στρατόν. "throughout the encampment" very effectively conveys the actions of the god's arrows.

Often, though not always, when a preposition and verb are able to stand in tmesis, it is possible to find them combined as a compound word. I see no evidence in Middle Liddell for a compound like ἀνοίχομαι

c. line 53's ᾤχετο is meant to recall and reinforce line 50's ἐπῴχετο. The force of the verb in line 50 is "attack". I think it is likely to have similar force in line 53.

If you seek a meaning for ᾤχετο that involves 'leaving, departure', then see Middle Liddell defintion 3: "of things, to denote any quick, violent motion, to rush, sweep along, Il." E.g., the arrows left his bow in a hurry.

But I don't think it means "the arrows of the god departed the camp".

Cordially,

Paul

Robertus
Textkit Neophyte

I think you are right

Post by Robertus »

hi Paul,

thank you for commenting.

i think you are probably right, mainly because the verb is in the imperfect tense, and such an idea as "had departed from" would have been best conveyed by an aorist; besides as you have noticed, there is no such verb, as long as i have been able to check, as anoikhomai.

So, this is the end of the story and i'll have to change my translation.

thanks again

Robertus. :D