Partially deponent verbs?

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Amiros
Textkit Neophyte

Partially deponent verbs?

Post by Amiros »

I have come across some verbs that seem partially deponent, such as θνήσκω (fut. θανέομαι, aor. ἔθανον) and κιχάνω (fut. κιχήσομαι, aor. ἐκιχησάμην). So the first is regular in the present and aorist and deponent in the future, while the other is regular in the present and deponent in the future and aorist.

What does it tell about the other tenses? I would have guessed that it should remain consistent within the primary/secondary tenses groups, but non of the two seems to follow that. Pharr §897 doesn't give any details about such cases.
Latin: Trying to ge back to it. Again. (Again.)
Ancient Greek: Hoping to have time to get back to that in the future...
Other: Hebrew [native]; English [advanced]; German [advanced]; Palestinian Arabic [beginner]

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Partially deponent verbs?

Post by NateD26 »

There are many verbs that are partially deponent. I don't think it's possible to guess whether a given verb
is consistently regular or is partially deponent, but rather a matter of checking the dictionary and see how
a certain verb behaves, and then committing it to memory.
Nate.