Textkit Logo

Partially deponent verbs?

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Partially deponent verbs?

Postby Amiros » Tue May 11, 2010 8:51 am

I have come across some verbs that seem partially deponent, such as θνήσκω (fut. θανέομαι, aor. ἔθανον) and κιχάνω (fut. κιχήσομαι, aor. ἐκιχησάμην). So the first is regular in the present and aorist and deponent in the future, while the other is regular in the present and deponent in the future and aorist.

What does it tell about the other tenses? I would have guessed that it should remain consistent within the primary/secondary tenses groups, but non of the two seems to follow that. Pharr §897 doesn't give any details about such cases.
Latin: Entering the "reading many texts to improve proficiency" phase.
Ancient Greek: Hoping to have time to get back to that in the future...
Other: Hebrew [native]; English [expert]; German [intermediate+]; Palestinian Arabic [beginner]
Amiros
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Partially deponent verbs?

Postby NateD26 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:14 pm

There are many verbs that are partially deponent. I don't think it's possible to guess whether a given verb
is consistently regular or is partially deponent, but rather a matter of checking the dictionary and see how
a certain verb behaves, and then committing it to memory.
Nate.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners