adjectival compounds with first element ending in -σι-

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
brometheus
Textkit Neophyte

adjectival compounds with first element ending in -σι-

Post by brometheus »

I'm wondering if anyone here knows about the linguistic history of such adjectives as
  • ἑλκεσί-πεπλος 'pulling (ἕλκω) a robe (πέπλος)'
    ἐννοσί-γαιος 'shaking (ἐν-ϝόθω 'push, strike') the earth (γή)'
    ἐνοσί-χθων 'shaking (id.) the ground (χθών)'
    τερψί-χορος 'rejoicing (τέρπω) in the dance (χορός)'
Seems that τερπι-κέραυνος 'rejoicing in the thunderbolt' ought to be in here too, even though it lacks the /s/.

Just wondering how the vocalism at the end of the first element is to be explained. If a parallel occurs elsewhere in Indo-European I would really like to know! I am wondering if the first element in these compounds is a verbal noun in *-ti- (cf. βάσις < *gʷm-ti-s 'a going/coming'). I can't find anything written about this particular structure anywhere.

I know this isn't directly Homer-related but a lot of these show up in Homer so I figured I would try asking here. Thank you!

opoudjis
Textkit Member

Re: adjectival compounds with first element ending in -σι-

Post by opoudjis »

https://latin.stackexchange.com/questio ... -compounds

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ction%3D59
[*] Smyth 879. Flectional Compounds.—A compound whose first part is a case form, not a stem, is called a flectional compound (cp. sportsman, kinsfolk): (1) nominative: τρεισ-καί-δεκα thirteen; (2) genitive: Διόσ-κουροι Dioscuri (sons of Zeus), Ἑλλήσ-ποντος Helle's sea, Πελοπόν-νησος (for Πελοποσ-νησος, 105 a) Pelops' island; (3) dative: δορί-ληπτος won by the spear; (4) locative: ὁδοι-πόρος wayfarer, Πυλοι-γενής born in Pylus.—From such compounds derivatives may be formed, as Ἑλλησπόντιος of the Hellespont, θεοισεχθρία_ hatred of the gods.