Paragraphs 73, 79, 84, 95, 103, 117 and 119

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
maximo
Textkit Neophyte

Paragraphs 73, 79, 84, 95, 103, 117 and 119

Post by maximo »

Hi, Everybody,

I have translated some paragraphs from JWW and I'd love if you could check it for me,ok. It might have a lot of mistake... Tanslating from ancient greek into new English, poor me! Here it goes:

Please, any suggestion, correction etc is welcome! Thanks!

(1) The house had beautiful doors. (2) He was sending the garrison to the village. (3) He had beautiful houses in the village. (4) Were you (sing.) plunder the tents? (5) You (sing.) were leading the garrison out of the house. (6) We weren’t plundering the small villages. (7) You (plural) had wagons in the market-place. (8) I was / they were leading the Greek garrison to the sea. (9) He was bringing knives and slings on the wagon. (10) We were sending a Greek garrison into the market-place.

(1) Was he sending gifts to the army?(2) There were houses in the place. (3) The war was frightful. (4) He was sending men into the plain. (5) We are leading the horses out of the place. (6) There were both horses and men in the plain. (7) We are sending gifts to the allies. (8) The allies were bad in war. (9) The allies’ words were beautiful. (10) There were the men’s horses in the plain.

(1) The way was narrow. (2) There were beasts in the plain. (3) The boats were long. (4) The general was by the river. (5) Further, bows, Cyrus, We don’t have (any). (6) A visible way leads Cyrus's villages. (7) The general was sending the horses into the plain. (8) Cyrus was sending the genera (some) wine. (9) The way, Cyrus, leads into a beautiful plain. (10) The horses were bringing both generals and arms.

(1) They will have/ hold. (2) They collected. (3) You (plural) will send. (4) You (sing.) commanded. (5) We will plot against. (6) You (plural) pursued. (7) We led. (8) You (plural) will lead. (9) You (sing.) had. (10) We plundered.

(1) I will not pursue the enemies. (2) Will we have the gifts? (3) The barbarians will plunder the tents. (4) He will command the general (to) free the men. (5) He led the allies in the direction of the barbarians. (6) Cyrus will plot against (his) brother. (7) Cyrus sent then the men a pay. (8) But the general had the Greek garrison. (9) He will collect the Greek allies into the plain. (10) And Cyrus ordered the general (to) send a garrison upon the bridge.

(1) I will collect soldiers and horses for Cyrus. (2) But The young man was plotting against the soldiers. (3) He will lead the soldiers by/to the Euphrates River. (4) And I /they led the hoplites(that were) with the general into the villages. (5) Did he bring the Persian into the soldier’s tent? (6) The soldiers will hold the Persians under guard. (7) He has the Euphrates River at his right. (8) And the general had neither a bowman nor a targeteer. (9) He was pursuing the bowmen with the targeteers. (10) But the general has 300 hoplites and targeteers.

(1) You (plural) have had. (2) He had had. (3) They have made an expedition. (4) He has sacrified. (5) I had had. (6) We have plundered. (7) We had sacked. (8) You (sing.) have sent (9) They had commanded. (10) They have plotted against.

(1) We have pursued the enemies through the villages into/ uo to the sea. (2) The barbarians had sacked the wagons, too. (3) We had sent 300 darcs to the hoplites. (4) But Clearchus had plotted against the Persians. (5) The soldiers had brought the man to Cyrus. (6) Clearchus didn’t have ordered the soldiers (to) sacrifice. (7) You (plural) had made an expedition against the enemies’ country. (8) The generals have broken their oaths, for they haven’t sacrificed to the gods. (9) You (sing.) have collected, Cyrus, against the barbarians, the targeteers and the bowmen. (10) The soldiers had loosed the wagon on account of (their) fear of the enemies.
Last edited by maximo on Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

73 is ok.

79. 4. "men" (not "the" men). 9. "We are sending" (no augment, thus present)

84. 5. δέ means "further" or "on the other hand", not really "too". 6 "A" (not "the") visible way leads into Cyrus' villages.

(To be continued)

maximo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by maximo »

Thanks a lot for or support, man!

Please do continue!!

Maximo

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

95. is ok

97. 4. "free" ("loose") rather than "destroy". 5. He led the allies among (I mean "towards", "in the direction of") the barbarians. 7. "a" pay... 8. Add "But..." and delete "also". 9. "He" will... 10. "the" bridge.

103. 1. Delete both "the". 2. Add "But..." and delete "too". 3. He will lead the soldiers by (or "to"?) the Euphrates. 4. "... the hoplites (that were) with..."
6. I think it means "They will hold the Persians under guard". 9. Or "He was pursuing". 10. Add "But" and delete "also".

117. 1."You" (plural) 2. He had freed.

119. into the sea : "up to" the sea. 4. Add "But..." and delete "also" 6. ... the soldiers to sacrifice. 7. in the country : some sort of "against". 8. the oaths : "their oaths". 9. among : "against" or something (the meaning is that Cyrus' collected soldiers will be led "against" barbarians)

maximo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by maximo »

Skylax,

I really want to thank you 'cos I know you had a hard work in correcting my tanslations. I hope the next ones be better.

Maximo

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Please, don't worry : your translations are very good !