San Francisco Ancient Greek Reading Group

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Jonathanvi
Textkit Neophyte

San Francisco Ancient Greek Reading Group

Post by Jonathanvi »

Hi, we've started a small reading group in San Francisco, California. Join us to read texts in ancient Greek (e.g., Attic, Homeric), improve language skills by mutual support, and discuss these texts. It’s a group for people who can meet after business hours or on the weekends.

Meeting times
Presently we meet 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm every Monday.

Cost
There is no cost to participate.

Skill level
Your reading skills should be above the first beginner level, having completed an introductory Attic or Homeric course and/or textbook so that you can start reading texts aided by a commentary and fellow readers, even very slowly! Classics Masters program students or graduates, or experienced Classicists are warmly invited since you can bring much needed ideas and guidance.

Meeting place
We meet in at my office in our conference room which has access to the Internet including a large screen for viewing texts on Perseus and elsewhere. Join the group and I will provide the address.

How to join
Go to the Google Group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/greekreadingsf
Subscribe to the group. You may need a Gmail account.

After you join
You'll see the next meeting time and place in the group site. And I'll likely contact you to confirm the meeting time and place, what text with commentary we are using, and try to send you a pdf so you can look at it in advance in case you don't have it.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Jonathan Villet
Jonathan Villet

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: San Francisco Ancient Greek Reading Group

Post by jeidsath »

I have attended twice now, and I highly recommend Jonathan's group.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com