JWW exercises, paragraphs 592, 593,594

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, paragraphs 592, 593,594

Post by Koala »

some suggested answers for lesson LXIII - all criticism welcome!

1. will he report this or will you stay?
2. you (are/were) the first to express your opinion
3. they all wondered at what the other Greeks might/would answer
4. we are at a loss (as to) whether we will burn the wagons we have
5. some of them he will kill, others he will throw out
6. they were deliberating whether they would kill the men or not
7. however I will not report immediately, but will delay
8. and Clearchus judged (the) striking of Menon’s soldier to be wrong
9. not one guide showed himself to us/appeared before us
10. Cyrus answered that he heard the satrap was at the Euphrates River
11. he was considering whether they would stay or to proceed to the tents
12. they say to strike and stone this man so that he might not/never-again proceed

Original indirect quotations & questions: (from # 3, 4, 6, 10, 11, 12)

[size=150]3 τί οἱ ἄλλοι Ἕλληνες ἀποκρινοῖντο; 4 καύσωμεν τὰς ἁμάξας ἃς ἔχομεν; 6 πότερον τοὺς ἄνδρας κτεινώμεθα ἢ μή; 10 ἀκούω τὸν σατράπην ἐπὶ τῷ Εὐφράτῃ εἶναι 11 πότερον μείνωσιν ἢ πορεύωνται ἐπὶ τᾶς σκηνάς; 12 παίετε τὸν ἄνθρωπον τοῦτον καὶ βάλλετε[/size]

[size=167]α. οἱ θεοὶ ἡμῖν τὴν ὁδὸν φαινοῦσιν β. ἐνταῦθα ὁ Κῦρος ἀπέκτεινεν ἄνδρα Πέρσην γ. ἐβουλεύετο ὅ τι ἀποκρίνηται δ. ἠπόρουν εἰ φήνωνται ἢ μή ε. ἐνταῦθα ἔμενον ἡμέρας ἑπτὰ καὶ τῇ πορείᾳ ἐπεσιτίζοντο[/size]

On hearing this from Gaulities, Cyrus said, “But we have, fellow men, our ancestral province up to where men cannot live, towards the south due to heat, and towards the north due to the cold. All between these (limits) do the friends of my brother rule as satraps. If we shall conquer (these lands), we shall need to make our (own) friends masters over them.”
[face=Arial][/face]

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Some admiring criticism

2. ἀπόφηναι is a middle aorist imperative (< *apo-fan-sai) « Express… » ; « you express » would be ἀποφαίνῃ (ἀποφαίνει), « you expressed » ἀπεφήνω (<*ap-e-fan-sa-so)
8. « and C., having jugded that Menon’s soldier was doing wrong, struck him » (« he judged » : ἔκρινε)
9. φανεῖται is a future (<*fan-es-e-tai) « will appear »
12. « to stone » would translate an aorist (or possibly a present) infinitive, but definitely not a future infinitive, and a subject would be needed with the infinitives, e.g. αὐτούς, as it is different from the subject of the main clause, like in « he wanted them to strike… », so I think it is « they say that they will strike… if he will not proceed » (or corresponding correct English clause)

3. ἀποκρινοῦνται (future) to replace a future optative (recognizable from his accent) of the indirect discourse.
4. yes, but add maybe an ἆρα to introduce the direct question ?
6. κτείνωμεν (see JWW’s note #2 :) )
11. rather μένωσιν a present subjunctive because of the present optative μένοιεν
12. According to my preceding comment, I would say παιήσομεν... καὶ βαλοῦμεν (« we will strike and stone » as I think that the subject of παιήσειν is the same as the subject of φασι

593 – ok !

594 – ok !!
(« conquer (these lands) » : I would say « win »)