Textkit Logo

JWW exercises, para 366, 368, 375, 377, 383, 385

Are you learning Ancient Greek with White's First Greek Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

JWW exercises, para 366, 368, 375, 377, 383, 385

Postby Koala » Sun May 30, 2004 11:11 am

encore des suggestions...

1 if he should do these things/this, we would withdraw
2 if we should/were-to provide/supply a market-place, you would have both food and wine
3 if we should win, he would not plunder the country
4 he would have worthy friends, if they should have the weapons
5 if I should lead them back to Greece again, they would justly give thanks
6 if it should seem best to/for the footmen to collect supplies/forage, what would you do?
7 if they should close the gates, you would surround them both by land and sea
8 if the river should prove not to be fordable on foot, they would bring boats together
9 if he should send them a reward, he would have just and brave allies.

They were crossing the river on foot ? for they did not have boats. Never had this river been passable on foot except (if not) at this time, but by boats (alone/only). Indeed it seemed to be a portent to all the generals and soldiers. From there he marches on through Syria, nine stages, fifty parasangs ? and they arrive at the river Araxes. There were villages there stored with grain and wine. They remained there three days and provisioned up.

1 the ruler sent a guide to the Greeks, that he might lead them through the hostile country
2 he assisted this man, that he might have him as a friend
3 who is exercising/taking care, that the soldiers might/will receive their (the) reward?
4 he was taking care of the barbarians, that they might be both sufficient/capable to make war, and (be) well disposed to him
5 they were seeking the rulers, that they might plan with/advise them
6 Menon was plotting against Clearchus, so that he might be a friend to the satrap
7 you would be friends worthy of honour, if you would/were-to provide arms for the army
8 Cyrus will exercise care, that the soldiers will be grateful to him/give him thanks
9 and with them I would be valued ? but if I was deprived of them, I would not be sufficient/capable to assist my friends

From there he marches out through Arabia ? having the river Euphrates on (his) right ? (for) five uninhabited/desolate stages, 35 parasangs. In this place the ground was a plain, all flat/(one level plain) like the sea. All sorts of wild animals were in (it/there), wild asses and ostriches (Arabian sparrows?!); there were also bustards and gazelles. The soldiers sometimes pursued these creatures from horseback ? and the asses were difficult to catch, since/for they ran faster than the horses.

1 he feared that the foe might be honoured
2 if the Greeks should approach, the enemy would be frightened
3 we made Xenophon our ruler that we might be saved
4 Cyrus would be kind to the Greeks, if they should vote to accompany/march-with (him)
5 if we were not to have/should not have arms, we would be deprived of our bodies/lives also
6 if we should be hard pressed by the enemy, we would proceed in a circle
7 the soldiers feared that they would be left behind
8 if we should win, we would both be saved and have provisions
9 but yet the general was afraid that he would be encircled on both sides
10 I was calling the men inside so that I could plan with them what was (is) right/just before both gods and men

For the asses, when the soldiers were pursuing them, used-to-run ahead; and again, when the horses used-to-approach, they also did this, and it was not possible to take them unless the soldiers posted themselves at intervals. Nobody caught/took ostriches. For they use their wings as a sail, and those (who) pursue (them) quickly desist/give-up. If some one quick(ly) pursues the bustards, it is possible to catch (?em) ? for they fly a short distance and give up quickly.

best wishes
Last edited by Koala on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Skylax » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:18 pm

ok

« began-to-cross » Unlike Smyth and JWW, I don’t believe too much in the inchoative imperfect. Here, it is more like if the author said « Imagine a picture depicting them as the were crossing the river. See this impressing sight. »

2. [face=SPIonic]w)fe/lei[/face] is an imperfect (<[face=SPIonic]w)fe/le-e[/face] – the present is [face=SPIonic]w)felei= < w)fele/-ei)[/face], thus « assisted », and yes : it is « have him as a friend ».

ok

« ostriches », yes. In Greek, [face=SPIonic]strouqo/s[/face] means both « sparrow » and « ostrich ». Xenophon writes eventually [face=SPIonic]strouqoi\ ai( mega/lai[/face], « big model sparrows » (= ostriches).
« dangerous » : « difficult » (« it was difficult to catch the asses… »)

5 « persons » : I agree if it means « we would be deprived of our own bodies », i. e. we would be killed.

ok
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to First Greek Book - White