Textkit Logo

Put Ancient Greek/Latin old readers in a new format.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Put Ancient Greek/Latin old readers in a new format.

Postby Gergian » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Hello!

I am starting a project to put ancient greek readers (for beginners) in a good quality (a searchable document with good image quality). I am using LaTex (XelaTex, because use Unicode) to run the text with font ""KadmosU" (but can be any other). My idea is to establish a "standard" (good quality) version of the readers for everyone who wants to learn. I use the software Keyman to type direct ancient greek (I think that is the best fo ancient greek) [Here: https://help.keyman.com/keyboard/greekc ... ssical.php ].

I annex a pdf document for sample of the idea (I did not revise the text, so.. may have some errors).

The Books that I want to type : Greek: Stories in Attic Greek - Morice (This one here I typed 236 histories) Greek boy at Home - Rouse (I just found some parts on internet ) ΑΝΑΓΝΩΣΤΙΚΟΝ (Here: https://free-ebooks.gr/%CE%B2%CE%B9%CE% ... E%B7%CF%82 ) This is done !)

Easy selections adapted from Xenophon. - Phillpotts.

First Greek Reader - Moss

First Greek Reading Book - William Smith

Greek And English Dialogues (Just the greek text) - J. Blackie

Stories and Legends - Colson.

Tales from Herodotus - Farnell

Trasymachus - Peckett (This one I am not sure about the CopyRights, the others I know that are in public domain, but this one... The last edition was in 1991, but the book from 60's

Latin (Some texts need to put macros)

Fabulae ab urba condita and Fabulae Facilies are done by G. Steadmann Here: https://geoffreysteadman.com/fabulae-ab-urbe-condita/ , https://geoffreysteadman.com/ritchies-fabulae-faciles/)

Easy Latin Stories - Bennett

A first Latin reader - Vincent

Colloquia Latina (Just Latin Dialogues) - Leighton , Collar et all.

Pro Patria - Sonnenschein

Fabulae - Appleton

Initium (Just latin dialogues) - Appleton

Latin reader - Hardy

Ora Maritima - Sonnenschein

Ciceronis Filius - Paoli

Varius Libellus - Paoli

Puer Romanus - Appleton , Jones

Latin Stories for telling ... - Rouse
Second Latin Reader - Vincent.

Any other suggestion are welcome :) . For the latin texts I think that OCR are a very good help (My friend told me to put "Latvian" at Adobe Pro OCR, and has a very satisfactory result (with macros!), for the texts without macros (e.g., Paoli, and some others, It will be need to put de Macros please! ). For greek the OCR results are very bad in general, or someone here have a very (but veeeryy) trained OCR for ancient greek (That can use to help us to establish the basic "corpus" of the texts.) ?

For those whom have some interest in this propose, please, send a email for me at private and we can organize all this stuff to do this job!

Best Regards!

My email: bozo.omega.9@gmail.com The Annex: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb6xqeiw2dwyc ... s.pdf?dl=0

UPDATE [1]: I finished "Stories in Attic Greek - Morice", Could someone do the revision? [Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfoujgvojq5tc ... e.pdf?dl=0 ] I will work in "Easy adaptations of Xenophon - Phillipotts". At each stage I will put here!
Last edited by Gergian on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gergian
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Put Ancient Greek/Latin old readers in a new format.

Postby Gergian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 pm

UPDATE: I finished "Stories in Attic Greek - Morice", Could someone do the revision?
[Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfoujgvojq5tc ... e.pdf?dl=0 ]
I will work in "Easy adaptations of Xenophon - Phillipotts". At each stage I will put here!
Gergian
Textkit Neophyte

Postby jeidsath » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:44 am

Consider uploading your texts to github in .txt format, so that others can contribute changes easily as Pull Requests.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

μὴ δ’ οὕτως ἀγαθός περ ἐὼν θεοείκελ’ Ἀχιλλεῦ
κλέπτε νόῳ, ἐπεὶ οὐ παρελεύσεαι οὐδέ με πείσεις.
jeidsath
Administrator

Postby Gergian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Following the suggestion
jeidsath wrote:Consider uploading your texts to github in .txt format, so that others can contribute changes easily as Pull Requests.
, I created a repository at GitHub:
This is the site:
https://github.com/Gergian123/GreekText/

For now, I just uploaded the Stories in Attic Greek - Morice.
Gergian
Textkit Neophyte

Postby jeidsath » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Very nice! I've added a PR that corrects two typos.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

μὴ δ’ οὕτως ἀγαθός περ ἐὼν θεοείκελ’ Ἀχιλλεῦ
κλέπτε νόῳ, ἐπεὶ οὐ παρελεύσεαι οὐδέ με πείσεις.
jeidsath
Administrator

Postby RandyGibbons » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Trasymachus - Peckett (This one I am not sure about the CopyRights, the others I know that are in public domain, but this one... The last edition was in 1991, but the book from 60's

Thrasymachus was originally published by Duckworth/Bristol Classical Press but is now owned by Bloomsbury Publishing. I checked with Bloomsbury's rights department, and while they were kind enough to really look into this and get back to me, they decline to permit either the digitization of the text or the non-commercial reading of it on YouTube.

Randy Gibbons
RandyGibbons
Textkit Neophyte

Postby RandyGibbons » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Thrasymachus was originally published by Duckworth/Bristol Classical Press but is now owned by Bloomsbury Publishing. I checked with Bloomsbury's rights department, and while they were kind enough to really look into this and get back to me, they decline to permit either the digitization of the text or the non-commercial reading of it on YouTube.

Randy Gibbons
RandyGibbons
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Gergian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:57 pm

RandyGibbons wrote:

Randy Gibbons

Thank you very much!! I really was doubt about this subject, but after a search I discovered that in USA CopyRight is for 95 years for the books after 1923 (Before 1923 was another rule, anyway, all are in Public Domain). In EEUU, the CopyRight is for 70 years. The Europeian books (Paoli, especially) is protect for CopyRight, but I downloaded from the school Vivarium Novum, and I did not find the original publisher. The ANAGNOSTIKO the same thing as Paoli, both are from 50's. So, for educational proposes I think that is OK. All the authors are death and the publisher did not exist more.

Especially about Thrasymachus, is really sad the fact that this very nice course has actually a publisher that do not care about the title. Just a poor reprint from the 70 edition did in 1991, and never more restructured. But ok, let leave Thrasymachus, is from 70, so... we need to wait until 2065 :lol:
Instead of Thrasymachus, I put Jacobs Greek Reader.

Gergian.
Gergian
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Gergian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 pm

UPDATE: I finished Easy Adaptations from Xenophon - Phillipotts (Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmms38gaao2y0 ... n.pdf?dl=0 ). I divided the texts in sections (according to the book) and in the front of each sections intro "[ ]" are the lines between of the texts sections, because each chapter have a continuous line number. The book also have a "Errata" that I also correct in the main text. Next I will work in Greek Boy at Home - Rouse.
Gergian
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek