Historical Question

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Jordan St. Francis
Textkit Neophyte

Historical Question

Post by Jordan St. Francis »

When did the sigma begin to be written looking like "c" ?

A book I bought for some supplementary translations, the "teach yourself" series "ancient Greek" writes all its sigmas as "c" or "C".

In the course of two years in my university courses, the sigma was never written this way . I had thought it was perhaps a medieval or byzantine development.

Is this an error on the part of this text book?

anglicus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Historical Question

Post by anglicus »

It's not an error. I've heard it's becoming more popular to use the lunate sigma since it avoids the issue of having two forms of the same letter. Supposedly it derives from some ancient variant of the alphabet, but was popularized more in the middle ages, I think. I'm sure someone here has more details.

I started learning with that book and thought it was weird, but got used to it and wrote out all my flash cards using it. But once I started reading other things, I started to get annoyed with it, so now I've gone over to σ and ς.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, the lunate sigma is ancient; see this table of letters used in ancient papyri (remove spaces):

www . freewebs . com / mhninaeide / Thompson . pdf

cheers :)

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

Jordan St. Francis wrote:When did the sigma begin to be written looking like "c" ?

A book I bought for some supplementary translations, the "teach yourself" series "ancient Greek" writes all its sigmas as "c" or "C".

In the course of two years in my university courses, the sigma was never written this way . I had thought it was perhaps a medieval or byzantine development.

Is this an error on the part of this text book?
Indeed, it is a medieval Byzantine development. Note the ICXC iconic abbreviation for "Jesus Christ" from the first and last letters of each word in Greek.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, it's not a byzantine development. it's ancient. see the link in my above post, cheers :)

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

cb wrote:hi, it's not a byzantine development. it's ancient. see the link in my above post, cheers :)
Sure thing. I wouldn't want to disturb your homework project. :wink:

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Jordan St. Francis wrote:Is this an error on the part of this text book?
It's more a fad.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

annis wrote:
Jordan St. Francis wrote:Is this an error on the part of this text book?
It's more a fad.
Chuckle...very good. :lol: