Textkit Logo

Schwyzer vs. Kuhner.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Schwyzer vs. Kuhner.

Postby peripatein » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:50 am

Dear Members,
May someone please help refining the differences between E. Schwyzer and R. Kuhner's opus on Greek grammar? Moreover, which is the most thorough?

Textkit Neophyte

Re: Schwyzer vs. Kuhner.

Postby spiphany » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm

There really was no need to open a new thread on this.

Have you tried looking for reviews in the academic journals when it was published? Google scholar (keywords: Schwyzer Grammatik review) is useful for this. Also, if you're associated with a university, try searching JSTOR.

What, in particular, are you looking for? For most purposes, I suspect Schwyzer, K-G or even Smyth would all meet your needs (i.e., I highly doubt any of them are missing large areas of grammar; the difference would probably in amount of detail), and if you need information on a specific subject (say particles or word order) you would be better off referring to a monograph on the subject in any case.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Schwyzer vs. Kuhner.

Postby Damoetas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:55 pm

For something more recent, you might want to check out The Syntax and Semantics of the Verb in Classical Greek by Albert Rijksbaron. It incorporates a lot of helpful insights from modern linguistics that you won't find in older grammars.

http://www.amazon.com/Syntax-Semantics- ... 119&sr=8-1
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Greek