Textkit Logo

Schwyzer vs. Kuhner.

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Schwyzer vs. Kuhner.

Postby peripatein » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:50 am

Dear Members,
May someone please help refining the differences between E. Schwyzer and R. Kuhner's opus on Greek grammar? Moreover, which is the most thorough?

Sincerely,
Peripatein.
phpbb
peripatein
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Schwyzer vs. Kuhner.

Postby spiphany » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:44 pm

There really was no need to open a new thread on this.

Have you tried looking for reviews in the academic journals when it was published? Google scholar (keywords: Schwyzer Grammatik review) is useful for this. Also, if you're associated with a university, try searching JSTOR.

What, in particular, are you looking for? For most purposes, I suspect Schwyzer, K-G or even Smyth would all meet your needs (i.e., I highly doubt any of them are missing large areas of grammar; the difference would probably in amount of detail), and if you need information on a specific subject (say particles or word order) you would be better off referring to a monograph on the subject in any case.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)
spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Schwyzer vs. Kuhner.

Postby Damoetas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:55 pm

For something more recent, you might want to check out The Syntax and Semantics of the Verb in Classical Greek by Albert Rijksbaron. It incorporates a lot of helpful insights from modern linguistics that you won't find in older grammars.

http://www.amazon.com/Syntax-Semantics- ... 119&sr=8-1
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?
Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Greek