Greek grammar in German.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
peripatein
Textkit Neophyte

Greek grammar in German.

Post by peripatein »

Dear Scholars,

Has anyone ever heard of an Ancient Greek grammar, most probably written in German by a certain Schweizer (name surely spelled amiss), and which is alleged to be yet more thorough and complete than Kuhner, Blass and Gerth's 4 tomi corpus?

Sincerely,
Peripatein.

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Greek grammar in German.

Post by spiphany »

Eduard Schwyzer: Griechische Grammatik.
Afraid I don't know anything about it, though. (I found the info here. Forum's worth checking out if you read German, perhaps someone there can give you more details.)
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

peripatein
Textkit Neophyte

Post by peripatein »

May someone please help comparing Kuhner and Schwyzer's opus?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

You can purchase them at amazon.com. But the prices are quite high. And there's no customer review.
Band 1
Band 2
Band 3
Band 4

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Post by rustymason »

The older German books (50-75+ jahre alt) are more difficult to use because of "spelling reform" und, besonders, because of the fancy-schmancy Old English font they used. -- Beste, Caementarius Robiginosus

NuclearWarhead
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NuclearWarhead »

Everybody can learn to read Fraktur. As far as I remember, Schwyzer is more oriented towards diachronic linguistics. But I seldom use either of them because I read so slow when reading German ...
Fiat iustitia et pereat mundus.

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

As NuclearWarhead has pointed out Schwyzer-Debrunner is more modern from a linguist's point of view. Especially in the parts concerned with morphology it has a strongly diachronic approach, which uses also heavily results of Indo-European studies and the like, but also in the syntax parts. The work by Kühner, Blass and Gerth is a few years older and has the more traditional 19th century approach which is more accessible to the non-expert in my opinion. But both grammars are so big and by the mass of material they cover also confusing that you only refer to them if you really are an expert or have a quite exotic question and if you are willing to work through a whole lot of paragraphs, annotations and examples.
(But there isn't anything as comprehensive out there as far as I know.)