Looking for parallel(not interlinear)greek-english NT!!!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bdwlexky
Textkit Neophyte

Looking for parallel(not interlinear)greek-english NT!!!

Post by bdwlexky »

In most foreign languages there are bilingual editions published with side- by-side translations, i.e. french and spanish. I have a french fables classic that is parallel with the english on the opposite page. This is very useful for the intermediate student trying to develop speed and facility with a new language. The interlinear format is not useful, because the translation interferes with one's efforts to translate straight from the greek. The process of having the greek text and the interlinear text on a table is awkward and tedious. The internet search seems to treat parallel and interlinear as the same. Is there a text like this available? If so, how can I obtain one?

bdwlexky@alltel.net
Lexington, KY

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

You could do a google search including parallel but excluding interlinear. You could search amazon, reading the book descriptions carefully. I think if the description says parallel it will mean parallel rather than interlinear.

Or you could make yourself one cutting and pasting the texts from Perseus into a table format and the printing it out. I assume you're not planning on reading the whole thing in one session, so a few chapters at a time shouldn't be too tedious.

bdwlexky
Textkit Neophyte

response re: looking for parallel greek english NT

Post by bdwlexky »

Let me clarify, the descriptions of greek english NT on the internet do not make a disctinction between parallel and interlinear, the terms are used interchangably. I found one book that had 8 translations plus the Greek for $160. I spent a lot of time on the internet searching and I do not think I missed the obvious. Another book I found reference to is out of print and unavailable

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

If it's a book you're looking for... try searching on abebooks for one from the cambridge university press (try abebooks.co.uk, if you can't find one on .com). The 1550's version from Cambridge University Press is definitally parallel, otherwise you'll have to ask about that before you buy. Abebooks are secondhand, so even if the book you're looking for is out of print you should be able to find it there, or otherwise try e-bay (but I can't help you there, no idea how to use e-bay).
I had one with the translation like that, I'm sure you should be able to find one they aren't very rare.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,

Go to amazon.com or bn.com and look up ISBN 0195284127. This is a 'Precise Parallel New Testament'. My copy is presently in a box (house painting). But I am pretty sure it's not interlinear; rather greek on one page and english translations from seven different Bible versions on the other.

Hope this helps.

Cordially,

Paul

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Kurt Aland's "Synopsis of the Four Gospels" (I think that's the English title) comes in a greek-english version which is parallel.

It only includes the gospels and is a synopsis so may not be suitable to your purposes.