Validity of expression.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
peripatein
Textkit Neophyte

Validity of expression.

Post by peripatein »

Dear Members,

Is the following a valid phrase grammatically/syntactically - kalos kagathos t'anax? Would ancient Greek usually arrange the words differently to express the same notion?

As always, any means of reply would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Peripatein.

xanthos64
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Validity of expression.

Post by xanthos64 »

Hi
To me it looks fine. The phrase looks like a fragment from epic, perhaps translated as "a lord both good and noble". I think Homer used the kai . . . te construction the same way later Greek used the kai . . . kai, or the te . . . te constructions.
Regards,

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

peripatein wrote:Is the following a valid phrase grammatically/syntactically - kalos kagathos t'anax? Would ancient Greek usually arrange the words differently to express the same notion?
What are you trying to say and what is the context? I have two problems with this phrase. First, καλὸς κἀγαθός is a classical phrase, but the noun ἄναξ is archaic. I wouldn't expect these to occur together in the same phrase very often, except perhaps in drama. Second, kalos kagathos still has a καί hiding in there. Even if the phrase is practically a single word, the use of καί and τε this way together is like saying "noble and and good." The only time I found τε in the area of the phrase was with καλός τε καὶ ἀγαθός.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

As far as I know, the parataxis with copulative conjunctions is ...τε και..., and not και... ...τε. And of course it can never be ... και ...τε.
Even more analytically the options are:

καλός καί αγαθός - καλός καγαθός
καλός τε καί αγαθός - καλός τε καγαθός
καί καλός καί αγαθός (more emphatic)
καλός τε αγαθός τε

And never:

καλός τε αγαθός
και καλός αγαθός τε
καλός και αγαθός τε
Dives qui sapiens est...