Johannes Damascenus on Scythism

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Ivansalgadogarcia
Textkit Neophyte

Johannes Damascenus on Scythism

Post by Ivansalgadogarcia »

Χαίρετε

I'm now involved on the translation of Johannes Damascenus' Περὶ ἀιρέσεων, I have read yet the introduction he gives to this text, but there is a passage that I can't understand as well as I would like, here is:

[2] Σκυθισμός, ἀπὸ τῶν ἡμερῶν τοῦ Νῶε καὶ μετέπειτα ἄχρι τῆς τοῦ πύργου οἰκοδομῆς καὶ Βαβυλῶνος καὶ μετὰ τὸν τοῦ πύργου χρόνον ἐπὶ ὀλίγοις ἔτεσιν, τουτέστιν ἕως Φαλὲκ καὶ Ῥαγαῦ, οἵτινες ἐπὶ τὸ τῆς Εὐρώπης κλίμα ἀνανενευκότες τῷ τῆς Σκυθίας μέρει καὶ τοῖς ἑαυτῶν ἔθνεσι προσεκρίθησαν ἀπὸ τῆς τοῦ Θάρρα ἡλικίας καὶ ἐπέκεινα, ἐξ οὗπερ οἱ Θρᾷκες γεγόνασι.

What does exactly mean ἀνανενευκότες? I've looked for in L&S and I found that comes from ἀνα-νεύω, then, I don't know if the verb here refers to the deny or refutation of the European territories, the European customs (religion, etc.), did they leave these places? In the Biblical TExts only the names of Phalec and Ragau can be found, no more information.

What do you think about it? Thanks for your reading and responses.
nam ista corruptela servi si non modo impunita fuerit, sed etiam a tanta auctoritate approbata, nulli parietes nostram salutem, nullae leges, aulla iura custodient. (Cic. Deiot. 30)

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Re: Johannes Damascenus on Scythism

Post by IreneY »

Hmmm good question. I would go with the meaning of "declining" as in "forsaking", and the following link seems to agree (unless "declinantes" should be translated in another way).

http://www.documentacatholicaomnia.eu/0 ... 0),_GM.pdf

Ivansalgadogarcia
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Johannes Damascenus on Scythism

Post by Ivansalgadogarcia »

IreneY wrote:Hmmm good question. I would go with the meaning of "declining" as in "forsaking", and the following link seems to agree (unless "declinantes" should be translated in another way).

http://www.documentacatholicaomnia.eu/0 ... 0),_GM.pdf

Thank you Irene, I've seen the latin text of Migne and this seems to be the meaning, maybe: "forsaking the European regions". The text is easy in the next paragraphs, there are no longer than three sentences periods, but the introduction is full of participles, then, it's not easy to translate, above all to spanish, he he.

Greetings from Italy.
nam ista corruptela servi si non modo impunita fuerit, sed etiam a tanta auctoritate approbata, nulli parietes nostram salutem, nullae leges, aulla iura custodient. (Cic. Deiot. 30)