adjective agreement

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
nathanj5
Textkit Neophyte

adjective agreement

Post by nathanj5 »

Hello

Quick beginner-type question - can anyone clarify adjective agreement a little for me.

Im not sure about how adjectives agree with nouns because it seems that an adjective can agree and yet have a different ending

for example

page 14 first greek book

- machaira agathei (scuse the spelling dont have the font here at work)

- a good sabre

- why - not machaira agatha - ?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: adjective agreement

Post by annis »

nathanj5 wrote: Im not sure about how adjectives agree with nouns because it seems that an adjective can agree and yet have a different ending

- why - not machaira agatha - ?
Nouns and adjectives agree in case, number and gender. Sometimes the endings for these will look the same. Quite often they will not.

So focus on matching case and number, not the endings, or you will experience pain in the future. :) There is, for example, a very large class of adjectives where the masculine and feminine forms are identical.

Somehow you posted this question three times. I blotted out two of them.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

nathanj5
Textkit Neophyte

okay thinkive got it

Post by nathanj5 »

yes sorry about that but I didnt think id sent it the browser wouldnt update...

okay so its just a question of learning the forms as opposed to macthing them to the nouns endings - i think Ive got that.

For example if I have a dative plural femine ending I put the relevent dat' plur' fem' ending of the adj' involved....mmm lots of memorising then.

Thanks again,

Nathan