Fame is related to the Greek feme

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Neos »

Fame derives from the latin fama, which is a cognate to the Greek doric form fama (fame; φάμα) of feme (fame; φήμη) from the verb feme(say, speak; φημί).

From the same root
Famed, famous

In modern Greek
a) feme: fame [φήμη]
b) femesmenos: famous [φημισμένος]
Last edited by Neos on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Etymology of fame

Post by annis »

Neos, did The Muppet Show ever make it to Greece? Kermit the Frog had to keep everything running and he was a bit, ah, high-strung. When very annoyed he'd yell and flail his arms around wildly. Imagine me doing that now.

The last time we discussed this at length you said you would be sure to include mainstream scholarship on these etymologies, and yet here you are again putting forth your antiquated theories without any references to current understanding.
Neos wrote:Fame derives from the latin fama, which is merely a transliteration of the Greek doric form fama (fame; φάμα) of feme (fame; φήμη) from the verb feme (say, speak; φημί).
No, it isn't. L. fama and Gk. φήμη are both independently derivations from the IE stem *bha-.

I will ban you the next time you do this. Consensus scholarship must be included and identified.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Neos »

The post has been corrected, according to your comments.
I did not mentioned my references, because they are not "mainstream scholars".
There might has been the IE stem *bha- some five or ten thousands years ago. In any case we all are descendants of Adam and Eve. However, I still believe (and it is common sense) that L. fama derives from the Gr. doric form fama from the verb feme (φημί).
I am not a philologist, so please enlighten me: from which L. verb is the L. fama derived?
Thank you

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Re: Fame is related to the Greek feme

Post by IreneY »

Just Kermit? That's mild!

I see that "related to" is synonym to "derived from". It follows I guess...

First of all there is a Latin verb "fari" from the same root and one does not need to me a scholar in the language to find it out (I didn't remember it at all and found out about it by a simple internet search for instance).

I have no idea whatsoever if "fama" derives from "feri" or "feri" is a derivate of"fama" or they have formed independently from the same IE root. Not all nouns derive from verbs as anyone who dabbles the least in etymology should know.

Romans used more than sign language and grunts to communicate with each other before they came in contact with the Greeks. This is common sense.
I completely fail to see the common sense of "fama" L. coming from "fama" Doric Gr.

P.S. I found a "wealth" of such examples of what I will charitably call folk-etymology. I really wish you guys spoke modern Greek because the sites I found them ridicule them as they deserve. In defense of Neos, he is not the only one who makes me cringe and wince and feel embarrassment by association . See the following (the words in the second column derive from the ones in the first according to a book called "English is a Greek dialect" :lol: :oops: :

Είμαι I am

Άγω I go

Τίθημι, θου I do

Κάνω I can

Έχω I have

Όλα All

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Neos wrote:There might has been the IE stem *bha- some five or ten thousands years ago. In any case we all are descendants of Adam and Eve. However, I still believe (and it is common sense) that L. fama derives from the Gr. doric form fama from the verb feme (φημί).
The last argument about this made no impression on you at all, it seems.

Fine. You have your blogs. Do not post these etymologies here any more.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

savarez
Textkit Neophyte

Post by savarez »

annis wrote:Fine. You have your blogs. Do not post these etymologies here any more.
Bravo!

Thank you for your efforts, annis.