Textkit Logo

Pronounciation help

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Pronounciation help

Postby Maver » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:32 am

Maver
Textkit Neophyte

Postby spiphany » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:38 pm

IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)
spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Bert » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:12 am

spiphany wrote:...... There are advantages to knowing Latin ...... experience with another inflected language is a big help for a native English speaker, where such concepts are pretty foreign.

This argument of course works the other way as well. Being familiar with the inflections of Greek will be a help in learning Latin. :wink:
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby calvinist » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:51 am

Bert wrote:
spiphany wrote:...... There are advantages to knowing Latin ...... experience with another inflected language is a big help for a native English speaker, where such concepts are pretty foreign.

This argument of course works the other way as well. Being familiar with the inflections of Greek will be a help in learning Latin. :wink:

True, but Latin is easier to take up first to a native English speaker because it uses the same alphabet and the vocabulary is much more familiar because of the many English derivatives... I would say if you plan on learning both Greek and Latin, start with Latin then go to Greek. Otherwise, Greek is not any more difficult, just more unfamiliar to the native of English.
calvinist
Textkit Fan

Postby vir litterarum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:05 am

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby Maver » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:58 am

Thanks very much for the links, I came across Berkely in the first, and than later on in the page it was recommended =].

It seems like it'd be harder to learn greek. At the moment, I'm not going to say I'm learning it. Merely looking into the script and the possibilities of learning it.

Even if it is a little harder to learn at first, I think I'd probably find it easier to stay motivated, simple for the reading material that I could access.

Also, seems like most of the Greek books work towards being able to read Odyssey or another book which seems ideal for me.

Anyway, for now I'd just like to have a look and play around with the letters. It's interesting to learning about it.
Maver
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek