Unicode characters for showing metric length?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Unicode characters for showing metric length?

Post by LSorenson »

Does anyone know what unicode page and/or codes are for the characters for the short, long, short/long (anceps) and other poetical and metric characters are contained in?

Louis

LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Cardo Font has a private range

Post by LSorenson »

Well, maybe I'm answering my own question. After hunting through various fonts with Windows character map, I found a private range in the Cardo font. Characters U+F700. But since this is a private range, users who would view this on a web page would have to have the Cardo font installed.

I know one of the commoner methods is using the characters x u -, but I'm trying to find a more elegant solution for doing meter on web pages.

Louis

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

The vowels can be done easily on a Mac. But not the syllables beneath the lines.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

This PDF should answer your question: http://www.brill.nl/downloads/Metrical- ... ode101.pdf

Edit: Although your visitors will of course have to have a font that incorporates these character, something that will most likely not be the case.
Last edited by Alatius on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, the unicode grk font i used to do the homer and grk tragedy scansions on my site was bosphoros. the only combo i couldn't get with that font was capital letter + accent + aspirate + macron; the other combos were possible.

you can use the private range of fonts if you pdf the doc. cheers :)