Stratia

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jadebono
Textkit Neophyte

Stratia

Post by jadebono »

Hello. I'm a bit of an accent fiend and have been known to trawl through several texts for the purpose of comparing the accentuations of certain words across a number of editions. Unfortunately, I've run into a problem.

I have both the 9th Edition of the Liddell and Scott and the Intermediate Liddell and Scott founded on the 7th Edition.

According to 9th edition, Stratia is an oxytone word.
According to the Intermediate, Stratia is a paroxytone.

Umm, any comments?

Apollimagine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Apollimagine »

My Langenscheidt dictionary of Ancient Greek says that stratiá has its accent on the last syllable if it means army. However, if it has its accent on the penultimate syllable (strátia), it derives from the adjective strátios meaning belligerent.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but maybe this explanation makes things clearer for you...

jadebono
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jadebono »

Apollimagine wrote:My Langenscheidt dictionary of Ancient Greek says that stratiá has its accent on the last syllable if it means army. However, if it has its accent on the penultimate syllable (strátia), it derives from the adjective strátios meaning belligerent.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but maybe this explanation makes things clearer for you...
Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. As I said, the Intermediate Liddell and Scott (based on the 7th edition) puts the accent on the penultimata, not the antepenultimata (paroxytone). The 9th edition of the Liddell and the Scott puts the accent on the ultima (oxytone). I wonder why the discrepancy in two different editions of the same lexicon.