May I just say... Woo-Hoo!!!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Borealis
Textkit Neophyte

May I just say... Woo-Hoo!!!

Post by Borealis »

They said it couldn't be done...they said it couldn't be found...they said it was out-of-print and unavailable...but the Library proved them wrong!

I posted some time ago about trying to find an old Greek textbook, A Reading Course in Homeric Greek, Volume 1, which has been out of print for some time and can't be found on Amazon, ABEbooks, eBay, or anywhere else. On a whim, I asked the local library if they'd be able to find it on interlibrary loan. Lo and behold, in it came!

So I've got three weeks with this puppy, leaving me with two options. First, learn classical Greek in three weeks. Second, spend a lot of money on photocopying and get this 354+ page book copied before I have to return it.

I'm leaning toward option two right now, but either way I'm enjoying this tremendously. It's an old high-school textbook from just after WW2, and it's quite awesome. In fact, I've already learned most of the Greek alphabet and a few words that easily translate to English (philosophy, microphone, skeleton, that sort of thing).

So, this is me, doing a happy dance. :D :D :D I just wanted to share the news with everyone.

Borealis

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

I don't suppose you have access to a scanner? It will only be a few more years until the copyright is up! :wink: (Unless Mickey Mouse strikes again. :evil: )
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Congrats, Borealis!
I know the bliss of getting a rare out-of-print book.

Photocopy! Photocopy! Photocopy!

(If I were you and have no access to a scanner, I'd take picture of all the pages with my camera --- a digital one and no worry for the cost for film :)).

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Good find! I admire persistence.

jeff
Textkit Founder

bernardo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bernardo »

Can't believe it! I've been looking everywhere for this book. No such luck... and yes, do photocopy the damn thing, no remorse-- the publisher doesn't seem to mind that some people are desperately seeking this book and it's out of print. (by the way, if you do have access to a scanner, or a digital camera, and is interested in becoming someone's private hero, speak up);
Maybe this should be a new topic, but since I do not have the above book I think this question is valid: is White's First greek book, available right here in textkit, good? Or more specifically, is it better than Mastronarde's, which I'm thinking of buying? Do I have options to Reading Greek?!

Borealis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Borealis »

I don't know if I have access to a working scanner; I'll have to see if a friend of mine can help out. OTOH, you might have luck doing the same thing I did; going through interlibrary loan. If we could get a copy here in Canada, I'm sure you'll find one as well (assuming you're in the States).