Textkit Logo

Misquoting Jesus

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Misquoting Jesus

Postby Johny Ze » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:59 am

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has read the book "Misquoting Jesus," by Bart Ehrman, and what your general thoughts on it are? I know it's related specifically to the Bible, but I imagine a lot of what he refers to regarding textual criticism has relevance to classical texts in general as well. Anyhoo, just thought I'd ask!!

John
Johny Ze
Textkit Neophyte

Postby savarez » Tue May 06, 2008 7:37 pm

I have read _Misquoting Jesus_ as well as most of Ehrman's other works, including his courses from The Teaching Company (www.teach12.com). I have great respect for Ehrman and the scholarship of his work.

However, if you are looking for information that deals more specifically with the transmission of Greek and Latin Literature, _Scribes and Scholars_ by L. D. Reynolds is a better book that deals more with secular texts.

http://www.amazon.com/Scribes-Scholars- ... 000QJMCNS/

The book is pretty pricey though, but if you can find a used copy or check it out from your library, I think you will find it fascinating.
savarez
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek