ν?ξ γίγνεται - accented closed monosyllables

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

ν?ξ γίγνεται - accented closed monosyllables

Post by Lucus Eques »

Χαί?ετε!

In chapter VI of Athenaze, I see the phrase ν?ξ γίγνεται twice, with the accent acute over νυξ. Then in an exercise to the chapter, I see νὺξ γίγνεται, now grave. Which is correct?
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Addendum: This is from the chapter about Theseus and the Minotaur, and there is one similar in Lingua Latina, which pleases me.

Can anyone tell me why Theseus, who feels to deeply for his fellow Athenians that he risks his life to save them, so callously abandons Ariadne, who alone gave him the ability to escape?

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

jadebono
Textkit Neophyte

Re: ν?ξ γίγνεται - accented closed monosyllables

Post by jadebono »

jadebono
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jadebono »

Lucus Eques wrote:Addendum: This is from the chapter about Theseus and the Minotaur, and there is one similar in Lingua Latina, which pleases me.

Can anyone tell me why Theseus, who feels to deeply for his fellow Athenians that he risks his life to save them, so callously abandons Ariadne, who alone gave him the ability to escape?
My tutor told me that according to someone's poem (could it have been Catullus?), the Athenian ship stopped for some victuals on an island. While this was taking place, Ariadne got off to stretch her legs. Theseus was so worried about his father's state of mind that as soon as the victuals were safely on board, he sailed off in a great hurry without carrying out a head count. The story has a happy ending for Ariadne, at least. Dionysius falls in love with her and carries her off.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Ah, very good then, thanks. The typo occurs twice in the 2002 Italian Athenaze. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a rule I was unaware of.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

jadebono
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jadebono »

Lucus Eques wrote:Ah, very good then, thanks. The typo occurs twice in the 2002 Italian Athenaze. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a rule I was unaware of.
You're welcome! Are you Italian? I'm from Malta, that tiny island 95km south of Pozzallo.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Sono di origine italiana, ma ho avuto la bellissima fortuna di studiare un anno (2005) a Firenze. Lì all'università ho imperato un po' di greco, e ho comprato la versione italiana di Athenaze, che mi è stata raccomandata a causa delle sue somiglianze a Lingua Latina di Ørberg — finirò il libro finalmente in queste vacanze! Insomma, scusa se non parli l'italiano!

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

jadebono
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jadebono »

Lucus Eques wrote:Sono di origine italiana, ma ho avuto la bellissima fortuna di studiare un anno (2005) a Firenze. Lì all'università ho imperato un po' di greco, e ho comprato la versione italiana di Athenaze, che mi è stata raccomandata a causa delle sue somiglianze a Lingua Latina di Ørberg — finirò il libro finalmente in queste vacanze! Insomma, scusa se non parli l'italiano!
Anch' io sono di origine Italiana. Malta pero non e parte d'Italia. E un paese independente e forma parte dell'UE. Probabilmente parli l'Italiano meglio di me perche ho fatto i miei studii in Inglese e le lingue di Malta sono il Maltese e l'Inglese. Ti auguro Buon Natale!

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Pensavo che tu fossi italiano. Buon Natale anche a te!

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS