good on-line dictionary

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Turendil
Textkit Fan

good on-line dictionary

Post by Turendil »

looking for a good on-line dictionary hopefully one that will do greek to english and is compatible with the microsoft polytonic greek front

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

I personally like the Perseus site a lot. It can be a little slow, but it will go both ways:

English to Greek

Greek to English

For Greek to English, you enter the beginning of the word and it will find possible dictionary entries. There is also a morphological tool that will "decode" the word based upon the endings, (e.g., pres active indicative first person singular...) but that's a completely different thing. It also, however, will link to the dictionary entries for the word, so that can be handy.

If you go to the "Configure Display" option at the top left of the screen, you can set how it takes Greek. If you choose "Unicode (UTF-8)" then you will be able to copy and paste from things written in the font you like right into Perseus.

I only mention all this because it was a long time before I realized that Perseus would take input other than the default transliteration.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

One can also download either full Liddell Scott of 1883, or abridged version of 1846 or 1855 in pdf format. They are in image form, resulting from a scanning process. As such, one cannot do a text search by entering a word.

But if one bookmarks the locations where letters start, they can be quite handy. You do not have to be connected to internet to use these pdf, which is an advantage at times.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

jk0592 wrote:One can also download either full Liddell Scott of 1883, or abridged version of 1846 or 1855 in pdf format. They are in image form, resulting from a scanning process. As such, one cannot do a text search by entering a word.

But if one bookmarks the locations where letters start, they can be quite handy. You do not have to be connected to internet to use these pdf, which is an advantage at times.
http://www.archive.org/details/greekeng ... 00liddrich

Helma
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helma »

edonnelly wrote:I personally like the Perseus site a lot. It can be a little slow, but it will go both ways:

English to Greek

Greek to English

For Greek to English, you enter the beginning of the word and it will find possible dictionary entries. There is also a morphological tool that will "decode" the word based upon the endings, (e.g., pres active indicative first person singular...) but that's a completely different thing. It also, however, will link to the dictionary entries for the word, so that can be handy.

If you go to the "Configure Display" option at the top left of the screen, you can set how it takes Greek. If you choose "Unicode (UTF-8)" then you will be able to copy and paste from things written in the font you like right into Perseus.

I only mention all this because it was a long time before I realized that Perseus would take input other than the default transliteration.
You can also find the Perseus reference materials at
http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/efts/PERSEUS/Reference/
Note: work in progress..

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

I also use the dictionaries available at http://archimedes.fas.harvard.edu/pollux/, which doesn't seem to have the server problems that perseus does, but with their steup, as far as I've been able to tell, you have to enter in something like beta code and it doesn't ignore accents, so it's not quite what Turendil is looking for, but I've found it really useful.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

For those who can read French, there is an on-line access to the Abrege du dictionnaire grec-francais at http://home.scarlet.be/tabularium/bailly/index.html. The search engine is very simple to use.

Turendil
Textkit Fan

Post by Turendil »

thank you. The class uses athenaze and I am doing the same thing I am doing with L.L. for my Latin. Typing out the paragraph and looking up the individual words in the dictionary seems to help, more than merely doing the whole flashcard number. I just wish there was a Words equivalent for Greek.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

What is Words ?

In Athenaze, 99% of the vocabulary is in a section a the end, both in book 1 and in book2. In a few instances, the stems of verbs are incomplete, or absent...especially in book 1. You learn the vocabulary one lesson in advance, and it is not so painful, except in Chapters 13+.

Turendil
Textkit Fan

Post by Turendil »

william whitakers words

http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/words.exe

you type in the latin and it gives you the grammatical possibilities and the definition of the word. I know the vocab with athenaze isn't so bad but it seems that for myself when I actively look up the word I remember it better than merely drilling with flash cards. When I drill with flashcards I have a tendency to data dump when I read and look the word up it sticks.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

In many instances, the dictionaries give tons of possibilities for a single word, which can be more of an hindrance than anything else.

Also, grammar book authors will use certain words with a simple meaning, and it is better to use these, as the offered reading texts use these all over, from lesson 1 to lesson 16.

But dictionaries are useful and necessary as soon as you look at authors outside your grammar book.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

jk0592 wrote:In many instances, the dictionaries give tons of possibilities for a single word, which can be more of an hindrance than anything else.
αἰαί!

At the very beginning you should focus on core meanings, but as soon as possible you want the biggest, baddest dictionary possible. Those tons of possibilities are vital to really understanding Greek. Puzzling out the example citations in LSJ is an education in itself.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

What I meant is all the possibilities given in the dictionaries do not help to read the text in the grammar books, such as Athenaze, where emphasis is more on the use of grammar that is just then being taught.

Of course, when reading a real Greek text, you have to consult the dictionary with all the possibilities. When reading Herodotus after book1 of Athenaze (for example), one should look up the meaning of each word the first time they are encountered, even if they were previously learned in the grammar book reading exercises.

Turendil
Textkit Fan

Post by Turendil »

this is true however I have found it helpful in figuring out the meanings of words to look up their various parts in the dictionary. For example Athenaze gives ο?κέτι the meaning no longer. However ο?κ in chapter 1 is given the meaning not. Looking up έτι gives the meaning yet or still. putting those two together I came up with the meaning does not still. Am I on the right track for the properly using the dictionary to understand the greek?